Roaming between a Moodle and a Blackboard site, is it possible ?

Roaming between a Moodle and a Blackboard site, is it possible ?

by Mari Cruz García -
Number of replies: 3

Apologies if this is not the right forum for my post, but I couldn't find a more suitable place.

We are going to start a new Msc at the Medical School in which I work, and we will set up a new Moodle site, under a linux distribution.

Our students will be authenticated via LDAP, using the University mail server directory (OUTLOOK).

The University has a central VLE implemented in Blackboard. Students log in Blackboard also via LDAP authentication.

The aim is that our postgraduate students can roam from our Moodle site to the Blackboard without having to log in again, that is, through a SSO protocol.  And vice versa:if one of our postgraduate students is using Blackboard, he/she will be able to come back to our Moodle site without having to log in again.

I use MNET in the past to roam between Moodle sites and between Moodle and Mahara sites, but I don't know MNET is even the right approach for this (taking into account that MNET may be discontinued for Moodle 2.3).

Is it possible to connect a Moodle site and a Blackboard site, so that students can roam between both  without having to log in again?

I am meeting the IT services about this, but, considering that they are not particularly enthusiast about having our own learning platform and they haven't used Moodle in the past, I am afraid that they are going to say 'NO' from the beginning.

Any advice or information is much appreciated.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mari Cruz García

Re: Roaming between a Moodle and a Blackboard site, is it possible ?

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

What we are talking about here is normally called authentication. Letting the computer verify which human is connecting to it.

Moodle provides numerous authentication plugins: http://docs.moodle.org/24/en/Authentication

Since you are using LDAP in a Microsoft context, the bit that might make this work is http://docs.moodle.org/24/en/NTLM_authentication.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Mari Cruz García -

Yes, Tim, thanks for the clarification.

I explain myself better:

From the Moodle site,

Authentication plug-ins->LDAP server settings: University Microsoft Exchange settings.

For the Blackboard site:

Authentication settings for Blackboard: LDAP server, University Microsoft Exchange mail server

What we want:

a student logs in our Moodle site using his/her University account (the same account that for opening Microsoft Outlook) ,

student goes to his course in Moodle and there is a link to a resource which is hosted in a course in Blackboard,

student clicks on the link and can view the resource, without being directed to the logging page of Blackboard.

Is this possible ?
Have anyone tried this?

In reply to Mari Cruz García

by Mari Cruz García -

I forgot to add that our students are not off campus, so they not be logged in the University Intranet.