Moodle and Turnitin class lists not synching

Moodle and Turnitin class lists not synching

by lisa peel -
Number of replies: 4

Hello

Apologies if my query is basic and the terminology I use is a bit basic - I am not a techie but find myself trying to work out the reasons behind a problem our school is having with the tii plug in to our moodle site.

Every 11 weeks our students start a new course so our IT team remove the old participants (who are still in our school, just no longer doing that course) and add the new ones. The issue is that when the teacher creates a new turnitin assignment in Moodle, in tii the list of participants includes both the current list of participants and the old ones as well (who are actually no longer on the list of participants for that course in Moodle!). Even after we 'synch the roster' in tii, the 'old' students still remain.

No one seems sure why this is happening, I am now waiting for tii to have a look at the way our Moodle is set up, but I was wondering if anyone else had come across this and what the resolution might be. Any help woudl be greatly appreciated by this nontechie person who is slowly going insane with this problemsmile

Regards

Lisa

Average of ratings: -
In reply to lisa peel

Re: Moodle and Turnitin class lists not synching

by Eva Adam -

Hi Lisa,

Which Tii plugin do you use? We use the Dan Marshden version, not the Moodle Direct from Turnitin. If you unenrol a student from your Moodle course, he/she won't be unenrolled / deleted from Turnitin, this is why you still see old stundents in Turnitin lists.

I guess if you want to keep the new sudents separate from the old ones (in Turnitin), you will need to create a new course in Moodle.

Please let me know if you receive an answer from Turnitin as we might also come across a similar issue later smile

Thanks,

Éva

In reply to Eva Adam

by lisa peel -

Hi Eva

I believe we are using the plug-in from tii. I have an awful feeling you are correct about having to create new courses every term, I will need a large alcoholic drink before I go and talk to our IT department!

Thanks for the info, will keep you posted.

Lisa

In reply to lisa peel

by Eva Adam -

Hi Lisa,

Your IT Dept has got some tasks at the moment with unregistering old students and registering new ones - maybe if they do a course backup without the users info and restore it in a new course, they can kill two birds with one stone? I don't know how many courses you have and how you backup your old stundents' data.

We have roughly 30 courses a semester now but this will increase semester by semester as we will involve more and more programmes. So I will have to figure out how we should handle this issue (I am the Moodle admin at our school) so that the routine processes be as automated as possible. I do some of these tasks manually or partially automated at the moment...

Éva

In reply to Eva Adam

by Barbara Taylor -

Creating new courses keeps the integrity of the new course.  We have a script that creates the courses for us and puts them into a specific category for each term.  Our instructors use the Import link to copy over the previous term without student data.  You cannot import Turnitin assignments so those will need to be recreated each semester/term.  

The backup/restore or import process takes less than 5 minutes on a fast connection if the course isn't very large in file size (less than 100MB?)

Barbara