no grade notification to students

no grade notification to students

by David Ha -
Number of replies: 10

We are running Moodle 2.4 and in the previous version of Moodle, when a grade is given for an assignment, students will get an email notification.  It is no longer true.

Students do get email notification when they submit an assignment.  So we know email is working fine.

We have looked at the message output settings and there is no option for grades notification.

has this feature been removed?  if yes, can it be added back.  If no, where is the setting?

Thanks.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to David Ha

Re: no grade notification to students

by Damyon Wiese -

Hi David,

Can you check that your moodle cron is running regularly and is not reporting any errors?

Thanks, Damyon

In reply to Damyon Wiese

by Jizu Sun -

I've come about this problem today, and other email notification, except grade notification, succeed.

Finally, I've found only the cron job is executed, the grade notif. can be sent immediately.

However, I'm wondering, why email notif. of assignment submission is triggered immediately once submitted, but that of assignment grading is triggered by cron job.

In reply to Jizu Sun

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Probably because the email notification of submission, in many institutions, acts as a submission receipt and the email itself needs to be fairly accurately time-stamped to show the actual submission time, while notification of grading is less time sensitive and so can wait until the next cron job runs.

You also have the situation where some students, if they dont receive a success notification immediately will try to resubmit, will phone the helpdesk to find out why, will raise support calls, etc. So it makes seens to have the submission notification happen instantly. Their action gets an immediate reaction. The notification that someone else has graded their work (or released the grades) is not so time-sensitive -

I *think* the messaging cron job is set up by default to run every 30mins, so provided you have cron set up, then the messages should go out in a fairly timely fashion anyway (general advice is always have cron set up as parts of moodle - like this - do not function without cron).

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Jizu Sun -

Thanks so much for your explanation for such a context. And really, for current design, I have to set a more frequent cron interval.

But I think there are 2 different kinds of messaging,

• one is triggered by user action, such as submitting, grading, etc.
  • the other is set by some schedule.  such as 'event reminder plug-in (specific days before the event happens)

And, the first kind of message should be sent immediately, and the second one should be sent into queue and run by cron.

I am new to open source community, hope some core developer would agree with me, and make some changes.

In reply to Jizu Sun

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

They probably wont based on a few posts in the forums Jizu.

The way to get such a change made if you feel it is important, is to make yourself an account on tracker.moodle.org and raise it as an 'improvement' there. If you can get people to vote for it and, particularly if you, or someone, can provide a patch for the improvement, then it may get traction and changes may follow. Tracker is the official method (in Moodle) to post bugs and improvements to get changes made in core code smile

Hope that helps

Richard

In reply to David Ha

by Teresa Gibbison -

Is this happening for all students or just some?  Is this using the new assignment module or the old 2.2 module?

Can you confirm that the 'Send notification' checkbox is ticked when the teacher is saving the grades and are they using the quick grading or the full 'Grade' screen?

I see 'Assignment notifications' and 'Assignment 2.2 notifications' as options on the message settings page - remember each students needs to check their own settings.

Cheers
Teresa 

In reply to David Ha

by Leonard Houx -

I am having the same problem in 2.2. Messages go out fine, but grade notifications to students don't send. I've been running the cron. So that doesn't appear to be the problem. Also, the (test) student's settings were fine and the tick box was selected.

In reply to David Ha

by Lisa Kidder -

We are running 2.4 as well.  When a teacher is grading on the grade screen (not using quick grading), there is no longer an option to "send notifications."

The notifications go out the first time a teachers grades, but if the grade or feedback is changed, there is no notification of the update sent to the students.

(Currently doing some testing, so the "students" message settings have not been changed.)

Any thoughts or ideas on why the updated notification does not get sent?

In reply to Lisa Kidder

This forum post has been removed

The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
In reply to Deleted user

This forum post has been removed

The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.