Moodle 1.5 Beta later this week for sure

Moodle 1.5 Beta later this week for sure

by Martin Dougiamas -
Number of replies: 17
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
OK, all the big stuff is finally in and it's just polishing up and fixing bugs now ...

I'm aiming to branch for a 1.5 Beta release in a few days. It's ridiculous how late this is compared to the original plan sad but there was just SO much more than I anticipated. On the other hand there are a lot more features in 1.5 than anticipated! I'm almost dreading having to write up the release notes!

Can all developers with CVS access please freeze new additions for a while and focus on helping to fix bugs that have been reported in the bug tracker? I want to make 1.5 really strong straight out of the box so I can get straight onto 1.6.

And if you want to remind me with lists of new features that should be mentioned in the release notes you can do that here in this discussion.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

Re: Moodle 1.5 Beta later this week for sure

by Petr Skoda -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
If anybody encounters "Serious session error occured, please login again." message, please report it to me - it is the new "switched user" detection mechanism.

It seems it is the right time to start looking for security problems in 1.5dev too wink If any developer with commit rights to main CVS wants access to http://security.moodle.org, please let me know.

skodak

by Andrea Bicciolo -
Commited yesterday last fix to formal_white theme. No other fixes planned for now unless reported as critical.

by Don Quixote -
Martin,

don't worry. If we look at all the great things we will get with 1.5, then who cares?

Cheers smile
In reply to Don Quixote

by Art Lader -

If we look at all the great things we will get with 1.5, then who cares?

The Merry Aiken Moodllers all say, Amen to that!

-- Art

by Martín Langhoff -
Much rejoicing in New Zealand from these news!

We'll be trying to find time in the coming days to test/fix:
- Postgres clean install + 1.4.x ->1.5 upgrade.
- A few pending things for caching of language list
- Port of base32encode from Perl to PHP -- none of the available base32 encodes does what we need it to do, and printf in PHP is so limited it's driving me crazy.

There are a few feature patches we'll be landing onto HEAD after the branch, too. We'll ping you before committing them.

Are you thinking of a similar HEAD->MD and STABLE->ML/PL arrangement after 1.5 is released and you are happy with it? Perhaps after 1.5.1?
In reply to Martín Langhoff

by Genner Cerna -
Just reminding in 1.5 the disabling profile editing
In reply to Martín Langhoff

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Absolutely, I'd be very happy if you could keep working on current stable branches.

by Genner Cerna -
essay as part of quiz module in 1.5?
In reply to Genner Cerna

by Ray Lawrence -
Martin,

Please can you advise which modules will be included in the "standard" release of 1.5?

Many thanks

Ray
In reply to Ray Lawrence

by Martin Dougiamas -
This is the release notes I referred to - too much to rattle off here as it would take me a day to reconstruct it all. smile

Of the main activity modules there are no new ones being added, and the list will still be:  Assignment, Chat, Choice, Forum, Glossary, Journals?, Lesson, Quiz, Resource, Scorm, Survey, Wiki, Workshops.

The bolded ones above have all had very major work done since 1.4, but all of them have improvements.

by Chardelle Busch -
Picture of Core developers
Martin,

Just to clarify.  Resource has its own Add drop down box (should it still be considered an "activity").  Label is now in the Add a resource drop down and not Add an activity.  And FYI, my latest install from CVS head includes all of the above in the Add an Activity drop down (except for Resource of course) as well as: Attendance, Exercise, Dialogue, so I assume these are here for testing only and they will not be included in standard?
In reply to Chardelle Busch

by Martin Dougiamas -
Resource and Label do appear different but they are actually still activity modules from a Moodle point of view (ie in /mod)

Yes, there are extra modules in CVS but these have never made it into the standard download packages: Dialogue, Exercise and Attendance.

Dialogue will be moving out of CVS soon, replaced by Messaging ...

Exercise will too, probably, it's not being maintained and it should really be an Assignment type anyway.  For that matter Workshop could be a "Peer-review" assignment too.

Attendance is not being maintained and has some big implementation problems - it's only there in CVS due to inertia.  I'd love someone to take on the idea of Attendance reports and rewrite it from scratch to work better in Moodle.  Perhaps a block, even.

Hotpot 2 will probably make it into the main CVS tree too but probably won't be in Moodle 1.5 packages.  I need to look at it more closely.

by Tim Allen -
Hi Martin et al,

Just wondering whether some of Michael Penney's team's great work will be included, such as: the gradebook, the shared files block and the quiz essay question.

Tim.  smile
In reply to Tim Allen

by Martin Dougiamas -
The gradebook will. The essay question I think might not. AFAIK that implementation suffered from an awkward grading interface but Gustav is the one to ask as he and his team are steering the Quiz module these days. The shared files I haven't looked at yet - I would expect a few security and quota issues and really I'd rather see the comprehensive DMS happening ...

by Michael Penney -
Hi Martin, shared_files (aka MyFiles) will be seeing some enhancements soon.

It already has administrator level quota setting for students and teachers, and security should now be solid (in our latest code not in the current /contrib version) thanks to Petr's excellent critique.

It handles user-user file sharing and submits to the assignment module, users can set file access rights. It doesn't currently do file revision historys, etc. (but it won't over-write same name files, it will add 'copy# to same name files).

One of the features we're hoping to get working soon is integration with the editor, at which point teachers and students can have a central (course independent) file store they can use in various courses.

Toward this goal we have moved the file storage from moodledata/moddatta/modname/courseid/userid to moodledata/users/userid and the database keeps track of the permissions (this also has not been released to CVS yet but should be soon).

In reply to Michael Penney

by Martin Dougiamas -
Thanks for the news about that block (and all your excellent Moodle PR around the web - it's very much appreciated!)