How to delete uploaded files?

How to delete uploaded files?

by Ivan Belanov -
Number of replies: 7

Hello!

We have a small problem. Student uploaded a file in the wrong assignment. We need to delete this file from assignment, but I cannot find a way to do it.  Does anybody know how to fix it?

Thank you in advance!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ivan Belanov

Re: How to delete uploaded files?

by Gordon McLeod -

Hello Ivan,

If the submission has been locked so that the student cannot delete it, for example if they have click to submit a final version, it can be reverted to draft by the tutor (see image).

When the student then clicks back into the assignment they will be able to edit (and delete) the existing file and replace it with a new one.

Regards, Gordon.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Gordon McLeod

by Ivan Belanov -

Thank your for your answer, Gordon!

The thing is that I do not see the "Edit" column on my screen. There is no such column in my table. Could you tell how to enable it?

In reply to Ivan Belanov

by Gordon McLeod -

Hello Ivan,

Sorry - the screenshot was from 2.4 as I've been testing blind marking, and I forgot the layout had changed a bit. In 2.3 Edit is on the left hand side of the screen rather than the middle. I'd need to check the earlier versions to see what's different. To reach the screen to edit click on the 'view/grade submissions' link). 

Can you clarify which version you are using? I'm pretty sure I had to fix a similar problem in 1.9, but it was a while ago so I'd need to refresh my memory.

p.s.  Just to add - if you are unable to edit it via the grade interface it should be possible for the server admin to delete the file directly from the moodledata folder for the course. Not something I'd recommend as good practice, but I think it would work if you've no other way around it.

Regards, Gordon.

by Ivan Belanov -

Hello, Gordon! We use Moodle 2.3.2+ (Build: 20120920)

I hope that there will be no need to ask server administrator to do it smile

In reply to Ivan Belanov

by Gordon McLeod -

Hello Ivan,

As far as i can see the solution to this depends on whether the assignment was set with "students must click submit" set to yes or no.

If it is switched to Yes and the student has submitted, you can revert to draft as I suggested before (here is screengrab from 2.3.2).

Once it is reverted the student can then edit the assignment to delete the file and replace with a new one.revert submission 23

If the 'must submit' option is set to no, the revert option is missing from the edit menu but the student should be able to change the file just by editing their submitted assignment to delete it - this YouTube video shows the process

If there is a problem with the student editing because the submission deadline has been passed you could always change the dates to allow the file to be amended.

Hope this helps.

Regards, Gordon.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Ivan Belanov -

Godon, thank you a lot for your assistance and willingness to help!

I think that I will be able to cope with it with your advices smile

Best wishes, Ivan

Απάντηση: Re: How to delete uploaded files?

by Andreas Panagiotopoulos -

It's not a good practice at all to delete the file of moodledata directory. Because you may delete the file, but the database's record won't be deleted!

Andreas