making moodle course visible in google

making moodle course visible in google

by yair suari -
Number of replies: 5

I am teaching a GIS course using moodle. since i am using an open source software i want users from outside the institution to be able to view the course - no problem i allow guests to view the course.

the problem begins when i want people to be able to find the course on google. how can i make that happen?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to yair suari

Re: making moodle course visible in google

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

As long as you allow guest users (in your course) you can enable "Open to Google" in your Site Policy admin settings. Note that...

"If you enable this setting, then Google will be allowed to enter your site as a Guest. In addition, people coming in to your site via a Google search will automatically be logged in as a Guest. Note that this only provides transparent access to courses that already allow guest access."

In reply to Howard Miller

by yair suari -

The "open to google" setting of my site is open for some time now and still when i perform a google search i cant see my course.

Any other explanation will be appreciated

Yair

In reply to yair suari

by Dom F -

Its such a shame you didnt hear any further back on your question Yair. Any further luck?

In reply to yair suari

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

HI,

What theme are you using as this may be missing the META tags from your site index?

<meta name="description" content='$SITE->summary'>

Of course if you are using Moodle 3.0 then you can add all the META tag names/content to your Site summary found in the Frontpage settings page.

Hope this helps?

Mary

MOODLE REF: MDL-49891