I have a use case that I don't think is met by any of Moodle's existing features, so I'm prepared to write my own mod for it, but I wanted to get some advice here first. Thanks in advance to anyone who can spare some time to look this over and share their thoughts!
My "students" are employees who handle service issues where they record their work in tickets (think Bugzilla, RT, etc). We have a ticket QA group that reviews and critiques tickets.
For each of several types of tickets, I want to develop an assessment that works like this:
- Student starts on a page that reviews and summarizes traning relevant to the task.
- At the bottom of the page is a form for submitting an arbitrary number of ticket IDs. As the student works tickets of this type, she submits the IDs at the bottom of the assessment page. The student must be able to add tickets piecemeal, rather than having to submit them all at once.
- When a ticket ID is submitted, the QA team is notified.
- QA team reviews the ticket, and assigns a grade and comments to the submitted ticket.
- The assessment is considered "passed" when a pre-defined number of the submitted tickets have been given a passing grade (we might want to use a percentage instead of a fixed number of passes).
I've already written a custom assignment module that does most of this, but it only accepts a single ticket, so the grade given to the ticket and the grade given to the assignment is the same.
The need to have an assignment that accepts an arbitrary number of tickets and derives its grade from grades assigned to the tickets seems... more complicated. I wonder if I should be looking at some sort of customization of the quiz module rather than a custom assignment.
So, I guess my question is: does what I'm describing sound similar enough to something that already exists, perhaps some third-party module I haven't yet encountered, that people would suggest I look into starting there? Any other advice is, of course, welcome!