New Version of Questionnaire Module

New Version of Questionnaire Module

by Mike Churchward -
Number of replies: 11
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
With the help of Eamonn Swanton and Heales Medical Ltd. a new version of the questionnaire module has just been released into cvs.

New features:
1) Save progress and restore - A user does not have to complete a questionnaire in one session. If desired, the user can save their progress and continue where thety left off when they log back in.
2) Paging - For questionnaires with section breaks, navigation back and forth through the pages is now possible.
3) Printing - Print ready versions of the questionnaire can now be accessed, with or without user data.

Try it out and provide your feedback.

mike
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mike Churchward

Re: New Version of Questionnaire Module

by Ger Tielemans -
Mike, did you solve the cross-table problem also?

by N Hansen -
Mike-The print button is overlapping a text box in this new version.

Also, can you make the print button an optional thing, or something that could be enabled just for teachers as an option? There are some uses of questionnaire where having this print option would simply be odd. For now, I'm going to have to hack it out of my installation.
In reply to N Hansen

by Mike Churchward -
Can you show me a screen capture? I don't have it overlapping anything in the versions I've looked at. Are you using a special theme?

I can add a toggle off/on for printing options. I just couldn't see any reason why it would ever have a negative impact to be able to print them.

mike

by N Hansen -
I will have to restore it to get you a screen shot. Will try in the morning as I'm off to bed.

As for printing, I have a questionnaire that consists of a single question asking for suggestions on forum topics from students. Why on earth would they want to print this? If the course is fully online and your students are all over the globe, there is absolutely no reason for a printable version. I could see a teacher wanting a printable version (to hand out), but why do students need it?
In reply to N Hansen

by Mike Churchward -
But why worry about it if they do? If they don't need to print it, they won't.

by N Hansen -
Because a function offered should have a useful purpose to someone...if there is no useful purpose, then it is just cluttering the screen.
In reply to N Hansen

by Mike Churchward -
But it DOES have a usefule purpose to someone... Especially if you are dealing with a multipage questionnaire that you would like to review. Your problem is that for one particular instance, it is not particularly useful.

There are plenty of examples of functions that are more or less useful depending on the situations they are used in. It then becomes a trade-off of offering more configuration options, or leaving the function permanent. I usually test the decision of whether to allow an option to be configurable against the impact it would have on the activity's purpose. If having it there vs. not having it there would change the way the activity functions, and thus change the way it could be used in the course, then I add a configuration option for it. In this case, I could see no change to function for it being there vs. not being there.

Anyone else have an opinion?

mike

by Michael Penney -
Being able to pringt surveys is a <good>GOOD THING (tm)</good>.

IMHO, of coursesmile.

Thanks for doing this, Mike!

by N Hansen -
Of course it is useful, in certain contexts. However, there are many things that could be useful in certain contexts, and we could go on adding them to our pages until they were cluttered with all sorts of options that may or may not be useful in a particular installation of Moodle, and if there were no way to configure them, it would be a problem. I'm not saying to get rid of it. I just think it should be configurable, just as printing is an option in the book module. In any case, it was easy enough to hack out, but for someone else it might not be so simple.

by Deleted user -

I've just found that the print button is semi obsecured by a special theme, however I've put a student questionnaire on the home page and found that Guest users could submit a reply until I chose to put students only in the settings and although this stopped guests from doing the questionnaire they can still print it out and maybe glean from the questions asked an erroneous view of the strengths and weakness of the College.

Can this be grayed out for guest users please.

Regards

Gerald

Moodle 1.4.5+

http://brimood01.bridgend.ac.uk/moodle/

In reply to Deleted user

by Mike Churchward -

Questionnaire currently allows guest responses in the following way:

anonymous questionnaires will allow guest access if they allow multiple submissions and are not restricted to either teachers or students (i.e. everyone can complete them).

If your questionnaire isn't set up this way, guest users should not be able to respond. If you can't access the survey, you can't print it. Are you seeing something different?

As for the print button not showing up, there is a weird bug with IE and some themes that causes this. Look here for the discussion and solution (second last post).

mike