Rating permissions in Glossary

Rating permissions in Glossary

by Joseph Rézeau -
Number of replies: 2
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Split from James Thomas's post - Sunday, 25 November 2012, 4:33 PM

In order to give students permission to rate, we have to go into the permissions section.  Could there not be a checklist on the glossary form?  In permissions, there is a plus icon for allow and there is a plus icon for prohibit.  That is strange.

When I switch role to student,  they can delete and edit an entry that I, as administrator, created. Bad.

They can add comments. Good.

But they cannot give a rating. Bad.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

Re: Rating permissions in Glossary

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

In order to give students permission to rate, we have to go into the permissions section.  Could there not be a checklist on the glossary form?

Well, the Forums settings also use the permissions section in the same manner, so this is not proper to the Glossary module.

In permissions, there is a plus icon for allow and there is a plus icon for prohibit.  That is strange.

Nothing strange here. Take a closer look at the Column headings:screenshot #1

So if you click on the + icon in the Roles with permission column this will enable you to add a role with Permission (=Allow=; but if you click on the + icon in the Prohibited colum, this will enable you to add a "prohibited" role. Everything is very well explained on the next screen after clicking those + icons I should think.

When I switch role to student,  they can delete and edit an entry that I, as administrator, created. Bad.
They can add comments. Good.
But they cannot give a rating. Bad.

Although the "switch role to... (student)" is a very useful feature for testing how things will look like to a student in a Moodle course, what you see and the actions you can perform are never guaranteed to be identical to what a real student will see or be able to do when logged in. This is the case of the particular scenario you mention. When testing things on a Moodle site, my advice is always to log in with a "real" student role.

Hope that helps,

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

Re: Rating permissions in Glossary

by James Thomas -

And thanks again. 

I just think two plus icons doing opposite things is strange semiotics. A green tick and a red cross would be more indicative.

And why not have a check list on the Settings form? After all, there is the Yes No for "Allow comments". And quite a few other things. 

The switch to student role: I have always had a "dummy student" but had stopped using it because of the new Switch Role to . Thanks again - I'll go back to Plan A. 

I realise this is not about HELP but about suggestions for improvement. So you've inspired me now ... see new post.