dropping XML files into the drag&drop area fails in MSIE

dropping XML files into the drag&drop area fails in MSIE

by Joseph Rézeau -
Number of replies: 6
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Can't find an issue in the tracker for this, although I'm pretty sure it must have been reported. Anyway, the issue is easy to describe.

When importing XML files (e.g. glossary entries, questions, etc.) by drag&dropping them into the drag&drop area of the File picker, Internet Explorer will open that XML file in the current window, instead of considering it for import.

This is a serious drawback for the drag&drop feature, no?

Joseph

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

Re: dropping XML files into the drag&drop area fails in MSIE

by Davo Smith -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Are you using IE10?

IE 9 and below have never supported the standard functionality required for drag and drop (of any file types) to work. That is why it doesn't say anything about drag and drop when you are using IE.

Davo
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Davo Smith

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Sorry, yes, using MSIE10. Actually I avoid using MSIE as much as I can, but I had to, recently, in the course of conducting those QA tests for Moodle 2.4.sad

Would it be at all possible to add some functionality to Moodle so that that Attachment Drag&Drop box is not displayed when it detects that MSIE is being used?

Joseph

by Gordon McLeod -

Hi Joseph,

Great idea. The Drag & Drop box takes up lots of space and just confuses users who aren't actually able to use that functionality so it would be good to just strip it out if the browser is unable to use the functionality.

Regards, Gordon.

by Davo Smith -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

The 'drag and drop files here' arrow is not displayed in browsers that don't support drag and drop upload (unless there is a bug - certainly working that way in IE9). The box continues to be displayed, as that is the filemanager, not the drag and drop upload box - it is that big to accomodate the large icons that are / will be displayed in it.

IE10 (at least the early preview I tried) does support drag and drop upload and should work identically to other browsers.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)

by Joseph Rézeau -

Well, Joseph, your primitive hatred of MSIE made you post a wrong info here. You are not using MSIE10 - which requires Windows 8 which you haven't got - but MSIE9.

Please be more careful in the future, or else...evil

Joseph

by Davo Smith -
I believe a beta version of IE10 for windows 7 was released earlier this week, so it was possible that you were using that...