Closing SCORM Window (Close button [x])

Closing SCORM Window (Close button [x])

by Kevin Ritter -
Number of replies: 5

Our course developers are using Lectora by Trivantis to generate a SCORM package. The package contains all the course work, some are quite long - 4 to 8 hours long. The problem is students are using the Close button for the browser window (upper right corner) instead of the Save and Exit button provided by Lectora. When a student clicks the Close button, their course progress is not saved by the LMS. In an eight hour course, this stings more than a little.

I would very much like to get in front of the close (unload) event by using the onBeforeUnload event. I have written JavaScript that works in the SCORM Cloud for all browsers and most recent versions.

I have tried altering the titlemgr.html provided by Trivantis, but IE fails to display the message to warn off using the Close button in Moodle; however, in SCORM Cloud this approach works for all browsers and most recent versions.

Where do you suggest I place this JavaScript so when a student clicks the Close button, a message displays warning them off and to use the Save and Exit button? I have versions of the JS for DOM and HTML. I have the ability to modify the PHP or JS files in the mod/scorm directory.

Thank you in advance.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Kevin Ritter

Re: Closing SCORM Window (Close button [x])

by SpookieUkie Shmi -

Any luck on getting this resolved? We have run into the same issue. If the user closed the window in either save and close or the close button in the browser, it tracks properly, but only in Firefox. In IE and Chrome, the browser close button does not track.

Interesting enough I have tried a simple course as well with Captivate. The close button works fine in Firefox and Chrome, but not in IE.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

In reply to SpookieUkie Shmi

by Kevin Ritter -

We are still in the process of resolving the issue with Articluate generated SCORM packages. We have resolved the issue with Trivantis Lectora generated SCORM pacakges by modifying the template used to generate our SCORM packages. After Trivantis reviewed our Lectora template, they saw issues with the timer function, which adds seconds then closes (exits) the course once 360 seconds (6 minutes) has lapsed. In addition, the course in the package was also continually adding to the timer variable. Finally, Trivantis revealed that after the close action, SCORM data was still being transmitted to the LMS. Our Lectora editor created a new variable in the timer function to ensure that the timer stopped adding to the timeout variable once the timeout was called. Previously, there was no ‘stop’ action. 

In reply to Kevin Ritter

by SpookieUkie Shmi -

Thanks for the reply Kevin. We have a large course in Lectora that really needs to be fixed. The client is really mad at this point. Is that updated Lectora template available? If so, how can we get it.   

Thanks again

In reply to Kevin Ritter

by Rob Skeet -

Hey Kevin,
Could you please point us in the direction of the Lectora solution for this problem. We can't seem to be able to find anyone over at Lectora who either is aware of this issue nor knows of a solution.  We currently have a course for a large group of folks that is about 3 1/2 hours long and if they accidentally exit with the windows (x) in IE... its all gone!!! any help would be greatly appreciated!

Rob

In reply to Rob Skeet

by Rob Skeet -

Managed to find a solution in Lectora that was pretty simple

for the next button which is a global button

I added a getURL action OnShow and did:  Javascript: LMSCommit()

and now it updates page you are on and any other LMS Data everytime you go next.

and it is remembered if you accidentally hit the IE Colse (x) button

Rob