Assignment changes in 2.4 - thoughts.

Assignment changes in 2.4 - thoughts.

by Gavin Henrick -
Number of replies: 4
Picture of Plugin developers

Just had a few thoughts on the assignment when I was testing/demoing to a university.

Overall love the work that is done but a few concerns:

Blind Marking

It is not so blind. I have added to the existing tracker.  http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-35390

Basically, even though blind grading is enabled a teacher can see that a student has submitted  via activity report and can see when, in logs, and compare to date on submission entry so it needs 3 changes as outlined on tracker.

example 1

file

Group Assignment

When there is no feedback file or text, the "apply to group" dropdown option is below the grade, however it "moves" to below the file picker box - is this intentional or a bug? didnt want to add a tracker if not a bug, but I do think it should probably stay with the grade line for usability.

Also:

Even if someone from a group has submitted and not all are required to the grading page, has information showing "not submitted" against some students which could be confusing, surely better to have all submitted once submitted fro grading? Again didnt want to add a tracker item if not a bug, rather have a chance to discuss.

Submission statement

Is it possible (or planned) to make the submission statement custom per course or even the assignment? as one message for the whole Moodle site may not be so suitable.

Just some thoughts.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gavin Henrick

Re: Assignment changes in 2.4 - thoughts.

by Damyon Wiese -

Thanks Gavin,

More feedback on these features is great. I'll look at your suggestions for blind marking - it would be good to clarify if the intent for this feature should be to meet any regulatory requirements or if it is just a tool to aid the marking process (this will determine how far down the road of making it really blind we should go). Not logging anything is a concern to me - maybe we should put the logs to a temporary table until the marks are released instead?

Re: the position of the apply to group checkbox - I put it where there so it stays with the Save buttons - if there is concensus that it is better near the grade we can change it (remember that sometimes the grade will be a grading form and so will be quite large anyway). 

Re: The status of the students submission in a group assignment - maybe for a group assignment when not all students are required to submit we can hide the student submission status column completely (I don't think it is useful in that situation).

Re: Customising the submission statement - this is possible if people want it. It would probably have to be controlled by capabilities so a site admin could set it and not allow teachers to override it. Feel free to add a tracker issue for this so it can get votes. 

- Damyon

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Damyon Wiese

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Just wanted to say I really like the idea of customisable submission statements too and if they are easily done and controlled by capabilities then do add a tracker issue Gavin and I will be first to votesmile
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Kieran Briggs -

Customisable statements for submission would be great.  We have a lot of staff who want to have the need for the submission to say that by submitting they are certifying that this work is their own.  I would love to have the option to create these easier.

In reply to Kieran Briggs

by Joshua Holden -

Did this ever get added to the tracker?  I can't find it.  If it's not there already, I'd be happy to add it.