can moodle support other database?

can moodle support other database?

by ji min -
Number of replies: 4

please give me the name of databases that can be supported by moodle (except MYSQL). can moodle support pure xml database?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to ji min

Re: can moodle support other database?

by Davo Smith -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

This is not a development question - it should really be posted in the 'general problems' forum instead.

Or, you could take a look at the system requirements page ( http://docs.moodle.org/23/en/Installing_Moodle#Software ) which lists all the databases supported by Moodle.

In reply to Davo Smith

回复: Re: can moodle support other database?

by ji min -

In fact, I want to develop an activity module in moodle. But mysql can not totally support the fuction of my module. I want to change to another database. Thank you for your link. I want to ask I only can develop the plugin with these 5 kinds of database (MySQL, PostgreSQL, MSSQL, Oracle, SQLite), right?

In reply to ji min

Re: 回复: Re: can moodle support other database?

by Onno Schuit -

You're not technically required to use the Moodle database abstraction layer in your own activity module. Just use the php library which supports your database to make a connection and execute SQL queries.

Or, in your case, to execute XPath queries, presumably.

In reply to ji min

Re: 回复: Re: can moodle support other database?

by Ray Morris -

I'd revisit "But mysql can not totally support the fuction of my module."  I have a hard time thinking of any data that can't be properly stored in a relational database like MySQL.  Since you mentioned XML, I'm going to hazard a guess that you have data which is hierarchical by nature?

If that's the case, a more accurate description of the problem would be "I don't know how to organize hierarchical data in a relational database, and don't care to Google it."  If that's so, MySQL actually does have XML functions:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/xml-functions.html

98% of the time that's not the best way to do it, though.  Better (and quicker) to spend 30 minutes learning how to store the hierarchy in the normalized tables.  Hint:

Table "node"

id        parent