Grading Quiz

Grading Quiz

von Hora Hedayati -
Anzahl Antworten: 16

Hello everyone,

We have launched our moodle course for a year now and we have been facing a difficulty in grading the essay-type quiz items. The problem is that the box for entering the score does not show up in the manual grading page. I can see the comment box and it works properly but the score box is not shown. Could you please help me with this? Thanks!

Als Antwort auf Hora Hedayati

Re: Grading Quiz

von Tim Hunt -
Nutzerbild von Core developers Nutzerbild von Documentation writers Nutzerbild von Particularly helpful Moodlers Nutzerbild von Peer reviewers Nutzerbild von Plugin developers
Check the quiz editing page. What is the maximum possible mark for this question? (I am guessing that it is 0.)
Als Antwort auf Tim Hunt

von Hora Hedayati -

Thanks for your help. I checked the edit page, I cannot find such an option for maximum possible mark. I checked the editing page from both the quiz update menu and the question bank but that option does not appear. The funny thing is that with the same defualt setting, the other quizes created for the course wrok properly and the mark box appears for them.

von Tim Hunt -
Nutzerbild von Core developers Nutzerbild von Documentation writers Nutzerbild von Particularly helpful Moodlers Nutzerbild von Peer reviewers Nutzerbild von Plugin developers
Can you attach a screen-grab of the top of your Edit quiz page?
Als Antwort auf Tim Hunt

von Hora Hedayati -

Thanks, dear Tim. This is the screenshot of the edit page when I click on updating the quiz and I do not see the option for maximum score.

Anhang Untitled.jpg

von Tim Hunt -
I actually meant the page you get to by clicking the 'Edit quiz' link in the settings block.
Als Antwort auf Tim Hunt

von Hora Hedayati -

Dear Tim,

This is the screenshot the question bank tab in the course setting block.

Anhang Untitled.jpg

von Jean-Michel Védrine -

Hello Hora,

This is not the page Tim was asking for.

We need the page you get to by clicking the 'Edit quiz' link in the settings block

Als Antwort auf Jean-Michel Védrine

von Hora Hedayati -

Hello Jean-Michel,

Thanks for the tip but I am afraid I do not see this option (i.e. edit quiz) in the setting block. I have attached the screen shot of the setting block.

Anhang Untitled.jpg

von Jean-Michel Védrine -

Hello Hora,

Sorry my explanation was not clear ! Excuse me.

First click on your quiz activity

click on quiz

Then scrolling down to the settings menu you should see something like this :

quiz administration

Click on the edit quiz line of this menu

You should then see a page with the list of questions in quiz and the grade for each in the quiz. This is where you need to look at.

Als Antwort auf Jean-Michel Védrine

von Hora Hedayati -

Dear Jean-Michel and Tim,

Thank you very much for your detailed explanation and sorry fo my being slow in getting what you meant. I could resolve the issue following your instruction and changing the maximum score.

Thanks a lot!

Hora

Als Antwort auf Tim Hunt

von Vicki Dunnam -

In the Moodle 2.3.2+, when students take a quiz that has essay questions, the quiz total does not show in the gradebook until the essay questions have been graded.  Before the objective part of the quiz was totaled and showed in the gradeook.  Now nothing shows in the gradebook.  When you click on the quiz, it shows "Needs grading".  Is there a way to show the calculated total for the quiz in the gradebook before the essays are graded as it was in earlier version of Moodle? 

Als Antwort auf Vicki Dunnam

von Rick Jerz -
Nutzerbild von Particularly helpful Moodlers Nutzerbild von Testers

Someone might suggest a solution for you, but I don't have one.

One technique would be to separate the quiz into two parts, one that Moodle can grade automatically and one that must be manually graded.  Students would then see their automatic grade immediately.

Als Antwort auf Rick Jerz

von Vicki Dunnam -

Yes, that is a "work around" option. 

I was really hoping the developers would actually have the score show up in the gradebook (it used to do that) on the objective part that is graded automatically.  Once the essays are graded then the total is complete in the gradebook.  Right now, the students do not see a grade at all until the essays are graded. 

Als Antwort auf Vicki Dunnam

von Tim Hunt -

So, for the sake of argument, let us suppose that we have a quiz that is 50% automatically graded, and 50% manually graded.

And, suppose a student gets to 35% out of 50% on the automatically graded part.

So, all we can say at the moment is that their final grade will be between 35% and 85%.

You are suggesting that at this stage, Moodle should show a grade for the quiz in the gradebook of 35%. How is that anything other than wrong?

Als Antwort auf Tim Hunt

von Vicki Dunnam -

Well... apparently, talking to the faculty, they want to be able to manually add the grade for the essay part of the quiz and give a curve without having to grade each essay question.... wait for Moodle to show the grade and then go to the gradebook and override  the grade.

Since Moodle did that previously... I guess then Moodle was wrong in displaying the grade but faculty want it back. lächelnd  lol!!

Any suggestions on how to get this back?