Flat File Enrollment

Flat File Enrollment

by Debbie McDonald -
Number of replies: 5

I am trying to use the flat file enrollment so we can send out notices to new employees that they have been enrolled in a specific course and are required to take it.

Our site enrollment is done via a .csv file upload by a third party contractor. They have a specific folders set-up to add .csv with newly hired employees.

I activated Flat File Enrollments in site administrator > plugins > enrollments > flatfile. I've tried uploading both .csv and .txt files in a bunch of different locations and forced the cron but nothing seems to be working.

My Flat file contains: add, student role, employee id or moodle id (same), and course id.

What am I missing? Do I have to enable this somewhere else in Moodle?

Also, where does the message text come from? Am I able to edit it?

(Edited by Helen Foster by request of poster to remove some text - original submission Sunday, 21 October 2012, 10:45 AM)

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Debbie McDonald

Re: Flat File Enrollment

by Ray Lawrence -

Can you clarify "Site enrollments": Do you mean creating new accounts?

The paths above: What are they? I thought flatfile enrollment only looked at a single location - see screenshot.

Attachment flatfile.png
In reply to Ray Lawrence

by Debbie McDonald -

Yes that is what I am trying to use, that is where I have been typing in the different paths. 

by site enrollment, I mean that we are uploading users and assigning them to classes via another source. At this point, I am just trying to use the flat file method to assign students to a specific training so I can send them a notice about the course.

by Debbie McDonald -

I guess I need to work on my ability to explain things @.@ ...

Basically, I am trying to use flatfiles to enroll users simply because it is the only enrollment option that will send a notice out to the student letting them know that they are required to take the class. It is not working. No matter where I put the file. I may be running into a bug: http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-30871

I am trying to get the fix implemented.

Question #1. Once I get this to work, is there a way to edit the notice that goes out to students?

Question #2: Is there any other way to automate a notice that is emailed to students letting them know they have been enrolled in a class?

by Debbie McDonald -

Yes we are getting the error outlined in the tracker listed above. Everything works fine until we select to send notices in the flatfile settings.

!!! Coding error detected, it must be fixed by a programmer: Could not load preference popup_provider_course_flatfile_enrolment_permitted. Does the component and name you supplied to message_send() match a row in message_providers? Message providers must appear in the database so users can configure how they will be notified when they receive messages. !!!
!! blah !!
!! Stack trace: * line 133 of /lib/messagelib.php: coding_exception thrown
* line 292 of /enrol/flatfile/lib.php: call to message_send()
* line 144 of /enrol/flatfile/lib.php: call to enrol_flatfile_plugin->process_records()
* line 54 of /enrol/flatfile/lib.php: call to enrol_flatfile_plugin->process_file()
* line 240 of /lib/cronlib.php: call to enrol_flatfile_plugin->cron()
* line 85 of /admin/cron.php: call to cron_run()
 !!