Audio popup windows ...

Audio popup windows ...

by Lee Corbridge, DVM -
Number of replies: 12
My site is going to be audio intensive.

I want my users to be able to go into a class, click on a link for the audio ( like the question marks that we see in the admin area ) and have a popup window show up with an audio embedded into the popup page.

Here is why ... If I have my audio in the popup window ... my user can then continue to follow along with the written material which may cover several sites, html pages, forum areas, or graphics while the audio continues to play uninterrupted.

Basically it makes it a guided tour.

I have used this code in the past on shtml based web pages but I haven't had any luck with it on my Moodle site.

I have put the javascript code on this page for those who would like to see it :

http://www.allcritters.com/java.shtml

Any ideas ... or is there a better way to make this work?

Thanks In Advance ...

Doc
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Lee Corbridge, DVM

Re: Audio popup windows ...

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Upload your sound as an MP3.
Add a Resource of type "File" and choose the MP3 you uploaded.
Select "New Window" from the Resource options.

Voila, you will get a nice little streaming Flash player automatically.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Lee Corbridge, DVM -
You can't get any easier than that. Perfect solution to the problem.
Kind of makes you like Moodle more and more everyday huh?

Thanks Martin.
Fantastic !!!

Doc

by Chardelle Busch -
Picture of Core developers
Hi Lee,

A while back I posted a zip file containing a flash mp3 player that is a little bit fancier that Moodle's player. It has a little more buffering for slower connections, and the buttons are a little easier to read (no black on black) also, it has a stop loading button. You just upload it and your mp3 file like Martin mentions above. There is also a version with a scrolling text window.

You can get it here:  http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=9011

Chardelle  
In reply to Chardelle Busch

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Chardelle, you may not have seen the new Flash player in 1.4.4 and 1.5 ... it has customisable buffer behaviour and colors (by placing some information in the theme/xxx/config.php). But yes, there are many options.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi!

Unfortunately, the customisable Flash player in 1.5 suffers from a bug I have already mentioned as bug report #4076.

Custom behavior and colors that you put in your theme/xxx/config.php only work for the site current theme, it does not work for the current course theme (if different from site theme).

I have filed bug report #4177 .

Joseph

In reply to Chardelle Busch

by Lee Corbridge, DVM -
Hi Chardelle ...

I'm going to play with your flash player today.
I'll let you know my comments later on.

Thank You for the input and for the new player.
You did a great job!

Doc

PS. Has anyone seen the interface on the Wimpy player? That's a nice interface as well ...

by Robert Lefebvre -
Hello Lee,

Can I ask what you are using to record your audio? I want to add some audio rsfeeds to my site and I'm shopping for the recording software.
In reply to Robert Lefebvre

by Lee Corbridge, DVM -
Hi Robert ...

Glad to help ...

Hardware :

iBook G4 1.33 GHz 14" monitor with 768 MB ram
(2) Audio Technica AT3035 microphones
(1) Edirol Audio Capture UA-700 USB audio interface

Software :

Audio Hijack Pro 3.5
Amadeus II
QuickTime 6.5.2
iTunes 4.7.1
Skype 1.0.0.18

I use the AHP to capture sounds that are input directly from the UA-700, the two microphones, Skype, and Quicktime.

This allows me to basically do a radio show set up with background music, my wife and I talking, and skype callers, all at the same time and record it all into a file that is saved automatically to my computer.

I tweek the audio with Amadeus II, and use iTunes to convert it from aiff files to mp3's for upload. ( Be sure to compress to mp3's only one time. )

The setup for this is very detailed and took me the better part of a week to make it do what I want it to do. However ... I have a complete recording studio that I can travel with in a very small suitcase that rivals some $10K units. My cost ... without the computer and other hardware ... about $80.00. Everything including the computer, microphones and Edirol ... under $3K.

BTW ... I was helped by a good friend who is a professional recording studio owner. He recommended everything I have.

The high end iBook makes a FANTASTIC audio base for a recording studio. My recommendation is to get the best microphones you can afford. Trust me ... the Audio Technica's AT 3035's are amazing and worth every penny you pay for them.

Outside of that The Audio Hijack Pro is the a definate MUST HAVE for software IMHO.

I'm working with a new product now ... it may just win out in the long run over AHP. I'll let you know how things turn out ... wink

Just to let you know ... we can begin recording a 30 minute recording, save it, fix it, upload it, and publish it online for my users in 40 minutes total time from start to finish.

I think that is pretty neat stuff wink

I hope this helps ...

Lee

by Josep M. Fontana -
Hi Robert,

If your recording needs are not very sophisticated, you can do it just with Audacity (free and Open Source) and a decent microphone. Audacity allows you to record any sound that goes through the sound card.

Josep M.
In reply to Josep M. Fontana

by Lee Corbridge, DVM -
Josep is 100% correct.

If your recording needs are low then keep it simple.

I used Audacity ... great little program ... highly recommended

my recommendations for getting the best low end recordings :

1) use the best microphone you can afford ...
2) record everything to aiff files and compress to mp3 ONLY ONE TIME. Never twice. Mp3's lose "A LOT" of it's quality by doing multiple compressions.

I Hope This Helps ....

Doc

by Hansruedi (Lori) Lorenz -

Following your recommendation I looked at Audacity. Would you know if it can record VIOP conversations? I am looking for a very simple device for this purpose only.

Thanks Lori