Inconsistencies in MRBS Roles | Moodle v.2.3.1

Inconsistencies in MRBS Roles | Moodle v.2.3.1

by Francois Evans -
Number of replies: 2

As admin, I have an MRBS user (called 'Username' below), whom I have given 'MRBS administrator' rights to in his own Roles>Permissions window viz:

roles permissions

In the course where the MRBS block appears however, when I click on Users>Enrolled users and search for his name, I see this:

Users2

As you can see, the 'MRBS administrator' information is not appearing in the 3rd column from the left for the user called 'Username'.

Can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong? Thank you.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Francois Evans

Re: Inconsistencies in MRBS Roles | Moodle v.2.3.1

by Davo Smith -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I really have no idea what you are trying to do here. Overriding capabilities that a user has in the 'user' context, will not affect what roles they are assigned in the 'course' context.

You are mixing up both capabilities and roles, as well as assigning something in one context and expecting it to affect a completely different context.

If you are trying to grant a user access to the MRBS block, then you are going about it in the wrong way. The MRBS block works only at the SYSTEM level - it does not matter what roles you assign at the user, course or any other level, if the user does not have the right capability to access the block at the SYSTEM level then they will not be able to access the block.

To help you out, there are 3 custom roles created at the system level, with the right  mix of capabilities for the common situations that are needed - an MRBS viewer, MRBS editor and MRBS administrator.

To use these roles, click on 'Site administration > Users > Permissions > Assign System Roles' then assign the appropriate role to the appropriate users on this screen.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Davo Smith

Re: Inconsistencies in MRBS Roles | Moodle v.2.3.1

by Francois Evans -

Got it!

Sorry for my confusion Davo.

It seems it's just a matter of assigning appropriate roles at the system level.

Thanks for your help! big grin