Moodle bandwidth

Moodle bandwidth

by Nitharshanaa Shanmuganathan -
Number of replies: 9

How much bandwidth we need for 20 people....??

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Nitharshanaa Shanmuganathan

Re: Moodle bandwidth

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

It depends on what they are doing. It's like saying "how much bandwidth do I need for home or mobile internet". I probably use 200mb a month on my phone, I have students who use vastly more, my mum uses less.

It depends what they are doing. What do you intend them to do?

In reply to Marcus Green

Actually im doing a project about e-learning tools. In our batch we are nearly 25 students. Currently 3 batches are running in our college. So if 25 people are using e-learing system as moodle. Hw much bandwidth we requie..??

by Michael Penney -

You are asking the wrong question, sorrysmile.

Bandwidth has very little to do with Moodle (or any LMS) and much to do with your content. You need to look at the size/and or bitrate of your content, and how much of it you expect your participants to consume per second.

For example, if you have a 5 minute video that streams at 500kbs that you need 25 people to watch - that gives you 25x500kbsx5min for your total bandwidth. That is a simple example and most calculations are much more complex.

Of course, you can always put your videos 'in the cloud' - like on Youtubesmile, and link to them from your Moodle course.

Generally speaking if bandwidth is a big issue, stick with Moodle's internal tools for course content, compress your images as much as you can, and put your video files 'in the cloud' and bandwidth requirements will be minimal.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Frederic Nevers -

Hi Nitharshanaa,

it is very difficult to answer your question with any accuracy. Consider the following scenarios:

- 25 students use one course to mainly see webpages with no pictures or multimedia content ===> Hardly any bandwidth necessary

- 25 students use multiple courses to watch videos (e.g. recorded lectures) ===> GB, maybe TB of bandwidth will be necessary

In short, it all depends on what sort of content the students will access the course(s) and how often. As I said, it's impossible to answer your question without knowing what your course(s) are made of and how they will be used.

Cheers, 
Fred

In reply to Marcus Green

Instead of using moodle whats the best alteration...?? what about cloud? I want to know about cloud 

thanx a lot . Im new to moodle forgive me for wrong question sad

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I don't think you have asked a wrong question it's the right forum and its about your use of Moodle. But Michaels response does answer your question very well.

You might do some research into the idea of a "Content Delivery Network" which allows you to have flexibility in your use of bandwidth. 

The pages that moodle ships itself are fairly small, but if you are teaching about E-learning tools then you may create some rather large files. For example I was using Camtasia recently and some of the files started out at about 13mb. 

When I regenerated them with more compression the quality was lower but the size of of the files was much less. Be wary of anything that creates video or audio files in terms of file size.

Is bandwidth expensive in your part of the world? and is this an issue purely on the server side or are your students constrained in their bandwidth use?

In reply to Marcus Green

smile Thanx a lot Sir, Surely i will concern ur advise sir. No sir not bandwidth is much expensive. Have an alternative. Can use dedicative bandwidth for everyone also.