how to manage users in mahara after MNET login

how to manage users in mahara after MNET login

by Siamak Alavi -
Number of replies: 4

Hi All,

MNet is setup and works fine know, our students login to mahara trough Moodle and they will be all in one institution in Mahara.

We need to separate students based on their class or social group (defined by teachers). That means students should be able to see students in same class.

How can we gain this control on Mahara?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Siamak

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Siamak Alavi

Re: how to manage users in mahara after MNET login

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I think this is more of a Mahara question rather than a Moodle question, so perhaps you should ask on www.mahara.org. As far as I know groups don't pass over from Moodle into Mahara although you can add users in groups to a  Mahara institution from a CSV file. Or have teachers create the groups once they are in Mahara. In terms of being able to see each other, I think all Mahara users can see each other's profiles anyway, regardless of groups or institution.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Siamak Alavi -

Thank you for your reply,

even if  I add users to groups manually, there is not any isolation functionality based on the group and institution on mahara.

I have posted on Mahara.org and I will let you know if I could find any solution for that.

Thanks and regards

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Stefan Meier -

I've got the same problem but from the opposite side.

My users login on mahara and get logged in via mnet to moodle

Now I like to create groups in moodle for different classes.

I have found out how to add users to groups via csv but users coming from mahara show no username in their profile. The only thing which seems unique is their emailadress but I am supposed to use the username for csv import. Is there a way to use email anyway?

username

In reply to Stefan Meier

by Randy Thornton -
Picture of Documentation writers

Stefan,

The username in Moodle does not show on the user profile, but you can find them in Site administration > Users > Accounts > Browse list of users.  If you use a Filter and set Authentication method to MNet authentication, it will narrow the list for you.

You can download the users into a csv file in Site administration > Users > Accounts > Bulk user actions too, so then you can simply edit out the users don't need and edit it it the format for the upload.

Randy