how can I speed up my system?

how can I speed up my system?

by Mike Carollo -
Number of replies: 5
Our current set up is:
Moodle 1.4.4
Windows 2000 (school wants to use this since no one can use Linux)
256 MB ram
550 Mhz processor
EasyPHP for mysql, apache, and php

I know this system is not the fasted thing ever, but it still seems like it could be running faster.  What can I do to tweek it to run faster?  I am trying to get them to get a new server that is much faster, but as for now.... how can it be configured to run faster?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mike Carollo

Re: how can I speed up my system?

by Michael Penney -
Hi Mike, IMO adding RAM would be the easiest thingsmile.

When you watch your page file usage, if you are hitting swap, that will slow down your system horribly, so adding RAM is a cheap way to avoid/reduce this.

Once you are not hiting swap (running out of physical memory) if your server seems slow, then probably the road to more speed is a faster processor, or a less taxing operating system.

In reply to Mike Carollo

by Trizit Benjaboonyazit -
My eLearning website also runs slowly  likes yours.  Although my hosting provider seems to have a better server.
Processor Information
Processor #1 Vendor: GenuineIntel
Processor #1 Name: Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 2.40GHz
Processor #1 speed: 2396.365 MHz
Processor #1 cache size: 512 KB

Processor #2 Vendor: GenuineIntel
Processor #2 Name: Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 2.40GHz
Processor #2 speed: 2396.365 MHz
Processor #2 cache size: 512 KB

I try to make it faster by simplifying  my front-page ( http://elearning.bangkaew.com/ ) ,this is what I have done.

1. Move the third-party refering counter link from the side-block to the footer. ( sometime the counter is down and the side-block has to wait for it to arrange the page layout.  With counter at the footer,  page layout is not delayed.)

2. Move the Instant Message ShoutBlock and background music to the footer also. But this does not eliminate the high traffic on the frontpage, so I move the Message Input Form and background music to other pages. ( The Instant message display does not delay the page layout.)

3. I feel that the page layout takes too much time , so I remove unneccessary blocks and move the side-block and all the block on the right  to the left with the hope that the forum in the middle block will have more room to adjust itself. ( sometime, members post a large picture to the frontpage , cause the forum in middle block to lose its alignment and it seems to take more time for the page layout.)

I am not sure this is the right way to tackle the problem , and I don't know how to handle with the configuration to make it faster.

Looking forwards to hearing comments and  advise from all friends too. http://www.bangkaew.com/elearning/pix/s/mixed.gif

In reply to Trizit Benjaboonyazit

by Michael Penney -
Well, you have ~1000k worth of images & flash on that page, I don't think reconfiguring Moodle is going to speed it up much so long as you have all those images there.

You might try moving most of the images off the front page to sub-pages (courses), that would help. Many of the images seem very large, generally I would compress images below 40k for the web (or display large images one at a time in something like book or glossary).

Other things you might do is take all the languages out that you can, and remove any modules from your moodlesite/mod directory) that you don't use.

But the main problem is all the images, it would take most folks a while to load a 1 megabyte page even if it was plain html. Also a number of the images and the swf are displayed at a smaller pixel dimension than they actually are, that not only takes more time to layout, but results in larger than needed images.
In reply to Michael Penney

by Trizit Benjaboonyazit -

Thank you very much, Michael Penney 

Your advices really help.   I resized all the pictures and return to use plomo.swf  which is smaller,  and remove modules and blocks that are not used, it seems to be more tolerable now.

I put the forum on the frontpages to let members enjoy posting their dogs there.  I call it elearning , but actually, there is no homework, no workshop, everyone just come to read , write and post their dogs free of charge.

Tomorrow, we will have a  community lunch party and go to see the shelter  for abandoned  Thai Bangkaew Dog together.

Thank you and  Martin here again for his tool to create learning community.