Embed m4v video using Moodle Media Button

Embed m4v video using Moodle Media Button

by John Mansel-Pleydell -
Number of replies: 11

I am trying to embed an m4v  video in a Forum Post and have it display on an iPad. The video will play on the iPad if linked as a file resource but we get a video with a play button with a line though it. It plays fine on a regular computer.

html5

I tried turning on the HTML 5 multimedia plugins and that just changes the video to 16:9 aspect ratio but still with a line thru the play button.

Running 2.2.3+

What is the recommended settings for allowing iOS devices to play video embedded using the Moodle Media button? 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to John Mansel-Pleydell

Re: Embed m4v video using Moodle Media Button

by Jason Nunley -

I am having the exact same issue... I am also using captivate to create content and having no luck. I can't seem to view any video on my mobile devices.

by Jason Nunley -

This is what the support guy from Site Ground said.

"I managed to reproduce the reported issue on my end and as far as I see the video is not played because the loading process exceeds the server's timeout settings. I advise you to contact a professional Moodle developer, which is familiar with the specifics of the application in more details and possesses the required skills to provide you with the necessary level of assistance for resolving this problem. You should be able to find such professionals at descent rates at the popular freelance websites. "

Been with them 2 days and i'm not thrilled with the service!.

Any Ideas?

by Web ICT ZHAW -

We are having exactly the same problem with mp4 Videos using the HTML5 video embed code.

All OS are playing the uploaded videos in moodle except iOS. We guess it must be a bug in moodle, because the video is plaing fine in iOS if the file is not uploaded in moodle.

Anyone have a solution?

In reply to Web ICT ZHAW

by Andre Kruger -

We use the Free JW Player and have no issues playing mp4 files on IOS or HTML5 devices. We even allow the Browser to choose Flash or HTML5 depending if Flash is available. The JW Player also allows you to specify a HD file. Not sure if this will help you but using the JW Player does provide you with some more fuctionality. I will try and use the default HTML5 video embed code and see I can get it working.

In reply to Andre Kruger

by Web ICT ZHAW -

Hi Andre, thanks for your replay. Actually we tested the JW Player is well, but we have the same problem: is the video uploaded in moodle, it's not playing anymore on iOS. Do you have a working example? If yes, which moodle version are you using?

In reply to Web ICT ZHAW

by Andre Kruger -

At the moment we are running the latest Moodle Build V2.3.3. I have setup a videos using the build-in moodle media Option, one embedded video and one linked drectly to the video file. I will also setup one Video using JW Player, so you can see the diffrence. The video I'm using is a normal mp4 but I will encode it to a m4v and test again. If you want to login to our Dev Site, please send me a message directly and i will send you the link and user details.

In reply to Andre Kruger

by Sam Mudle -

I think the best would be to export your videos to FLV extension as Flow player pretty much handles that the best.

Don't blame Moodle for mp4/m4v files because HTML5 is not supported the same on all browsers.  I know that IE9 doesn't support HTML5 at all.

You'd have to hope that all of your students have quicktime installed and that's a hassle.  So take your mp4 and run them through anyvideoconverter (http://www.any-video-converter.com/download-avc-free.php) this will convert them to FLV.

by Eric Ward -

I am encountering the same issue on 2.4, any resolution found?

In reply to Eric Ward

by Seth Mengal -

Try unchecking the 

Legacy media players

/admin/settings.php?section=mediasettings
In reply to Seth Mengal

by Doug Moody -

I have been through this and used to use FLV files. That is "yesterday's" solution. At the moment, I use MP4 files with JW player. But not just any MP4 file will play correctly. I also tell my students they ahve to use Google Chrome. Firefox works too, but IE won't play videos at all. If your course is public then you mabe can't specify browsers. But my course is closed, so I can dictate the terms.

回复: Embed m4v video using Moodle Media Button

by Berg Ryan -

MTS Converter is also a versatile MTS to AVI Converter software, which has the ability to convert MTS/M2TS file to AVI video with super high speed and perfect ...

You can try:http://www.mtsconverterfree.com/