Customizing the Certification

Customizing the Certification

by Stephen Mr -
Number of replies: 25
  1. I need for students to have 3 options for them to choose from once they are finished with a presenstion, and I need the option that they choose to show up on there certificate, is there anyway to do this?

can this be done?  if so how? using Moodle (2.2.3)

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Stephen Mr

Re: Customizing the Certification

by Stuart Mealor -

Not using one single Certificate.

But you could, for exaple, have 3 different Certificates (each with a different option displayed on the Certificate).

It is possible to use Groups and Grouping to hide the different Certificates (if you wish).

You may also be able to use Conditional activities in some way to restrict the Certificate availablity to the correct Students.

Stu

In reply to Stuart Mealor

by Stephen Mr -

okay great!  that makes perfect sense,  how would I go about doing that?

In reply to Stuart Mealor

by Stephen Mr -

okay I did this and they are still not able to print I tried from an XP Machine and it turns out that the studnest that are using XP wil get a blank page when trying to get the certificate to print out and studenst that are using windows 7 are okay.  so it seems to be a compatibility issue with XP users besue they show in the admin and they will allow the admin to print. any suggestions?

In reply to Stephen Mr

by Stephen Mr -

okay so I set up 3 certificates and that did the trick,  thanks for the advice.  However now I have a bigger problem.  Some of the students cannot print the certificate.  They get a blank screen.  I set it to show in new window, they get a blank screen, i tried setting it to force download and it gves them an error message saying that they cannot go to the link they are tring to go to to print the certificate. 

Also is there a way to eleimate the certificate screen to stop showing all of the attempst I made to test the certificate?  everytime I click on get certifciate it record the attempt and the list is real long and its annoying, is there a way to eleminate this?

In reply to Stephen Mr

by Mark Nelson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Stephen,

Updating to the latest Certificate version may fix these (at least the long list of attempts). Please see https://github.com/markn86/moodle-mod_certificate

Regards,

Mark

In reply to Mark Nelson

by Stephen Mr -

okay I did this and they are still not able to print I tried from an XP Machine and it turns out that the studnest that are using XP wil get a blank page when trying to get the certificate to print out and studenst that are using windows 7 are okay. so it seems to be a compatibility issue with XP users besue they show in the admin and they will allow the admin to print. any suggestions?

In reply to Stephen Mr

by Stephen Mr -

I am having a problem with studnest not able to print the certificate if they are using XP,  can you help me undertsnd why and how to fix this.

The site is: http://www.wwwmastersinc.com/DynoNobelLMS/DanoraPlant/

(Edited by Helen Foster to remove username and password - original submission Tuesday, 25 September 2012, 9:11 PM)

In reply to Stephen Mr

by Mark Nelson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Stephen,

I would be very carefuly about giving out the URL to your site, not to mention including a username and password. Usually these aren't necessary to debug what it is going on.

I am currently running Linux at work, and Windows 7/Linux at home. I would have to install XP to test this issue which I currently do not have time to do. However, I don't think this will be necessary to fix this issue. Can you please provide the certificate version you are running (found in mod/certificate/version.php) and attach any custom certificate type you may be using?

Regards,

Mark

In reply to Mark Nelson

by Stephen Mr -

sorry I was desperate and new to this process.  Thanks for yuor help atached is the version.php file orginally it was named markn86-moodle-mod_certificate-519ac74.  I am not using any certificate type that is custom.

In reply to Mark Nelson

by Stephen Mr -

Here is a screenshot of the link that the blank page goes to

Attachment blankPageLink.jpg
In reply to Stephen Mr

by Mark Nelson -

HI Stephen,

Can you turn on debugging http://docs.moodle.org/23/en/Debugging on your Moodle site and visit the blank page and tell me if you are receiving any error messages? If you are, copy and paste them here then turn debugging back off so students no longer see the error message.

Regards,

Mark

In reply to Mark Nelson

by Stephen Mr -

1.09572 secs RAM: 36.8MB RAM peak: 37MB Included 670 files Contexts for which filters were loaded: 0 Filters created: 0 Pieces of content filtered: 0 Strings filtered: 0 get_string calls: 6983 strings mem cache hits: 6803 strings disk cache hits: 186 DB reads/writes: 219/17 ticks: 110 user: 84 sys: 9 cuser: 0 csys: 0 Load average: 4.52 Session: 3.5KB This page is: General type: admin. Context System (context id 1). Page type admin-setting-debugging.

In reply to Mark Nelson

by Stephen Mr -

okay disregard the last debugging message.  here is what I get from an XP machine when I hit the Certificate module to get to the page that shows me the button where i can get the certificate no error messages c ome up on the blank pop up window:

1.100907 secs

RAM: 32.3MB

RAM peak: 32.6MB

Included 154 files

Contexts for which filters were loaded: 0
Filters created: 0
Pieces of content filtered: 0
Strings filtered: 0
get_string calls: 177
strings mem cache hits: 157
strings disk cache hits: 20
DB reads/writes: 73/2

ticks: 110 user: 41 sys: 5 cuser: 0 csys: 0

Load average: 8.70

Session: 7.9KB

This page is: General type: incourse. Context Certificate: Print Your Certification of Completion (context id 105). Page type mod-certificate-view.

In reply to Mark Nelson

by Stephen Mr -

Also since I ahve been messing with this certificate,  all the studenst that were showing up through the admin to print out their certificate do not show anymore,  is there a way to reissues the certifiates so they at least show up in the admin so the admin can print them. 

In reply to Stephen Mr

by Mark Nelson -

Hi Stephen,

The admin report shows all the certificates that have been issued to students, if this table is now empty you will have to wait for the student to actually visit the certificate link again for a new record to be created.

Also, your debugging information provided no errors for that blank page, that was your site information. I don't see how users can print the certificate in other OSes besides XP, are you sure it is not a browser issue? Are they using IE6 while others use newer versions or different browsers?

Regards,

Mark

In reply to Mark Nelson

by Stephen Mr -

thanks for getting back to me,  IM not really sure if its a browser issue,  if it is how do i fix it?  I klnow that on an XP machine I ant pull it up and on a win 7 I can,  it may be the browser.

In reply to Mark Nelson

by Stephen Mr -

okay I upgarded the browser to ie8, still nothing.  I then went back and installed a version2.2 and the same thing happend,  hoeever this time I was able to get an error message on the blank page:

Notice: Undefined variable: certdate in /home2/wwwmast1/public_html/donoraPlantNEW/mod/certificate/lib.php on line 1496 TCPDF ERROR: Some data has already been output, can't send PDF file

Again this worked on Win7  but not in XP

In reply to Stephen Mr

by Mark Nelson -

Stephen, this doesn't sound like an OS issue, especially with the 'certdate' variable error. This error was fixed a while ago, so you must be using older code. Have you got the latest code from http://moodle.org/plugins/view.php?plugin=mod_certificate?

In reply to Mark Nelson

by Stephen Mr -

okay I updated to the latest browser, I updated the certificate module, still the same afffect.  there is nothing being printed or shown,  it looks like it is having problems showing or getting the PDF, here is the URL that it shows: http://www.wwwmastersinc.com/DynoNobelLMS/DanoraPlant/mod/certificate/view.php?id=19&action=get

So what should I do now?  I have a moodle site that is 2.0 and tested this with the
same machines and there is no problems.  Should I just make a copy of that site? 
If so how do i do that?

In reply to Stephen Mr

by Mark Nelson -

Stephen,

Please turn on debugging and visit the link that gives you a blank page and paste that error here. Just like you did when you coped the error "Notice: Undefined variable: certdate in /home2/wwwmast1/public_html/donoraPlantNEW/mod/certificate/lib.php on line 1496 TCPDF ERROR: Some data has already been output, can't send PDF file". I need more information in order to fix this.

In reply to Mark Nelson

by jeff masiello -

Hello Mark,

I hope I am not hijacking this thread.

I am getting the tcpdf error as well. My steps. I jsut ran an upgrade from 2.0.1 - 2.3.2+

I added a certification activity to the end of a course using pretty much defaults stuff. it worked.

I then went to the admin area and uplaoded a new image. I went back to the cert activity I had embedded. I chose the new image (where are they stored anyway? the new images) and hit save and view. I viewed the certificate and the image worked. I then took the A4_embedded type folder, copied it and renamed it to test. I then uploaded that directory tot he types directory. I then went to the course certificate activitya nd edited it to use the new type.

I got this (with debugging on)

Strict Standards: Redefining already defined constructor for class questionnaire inC:\inetpub\moodle_sandbox\mod\questionnaire\locallib.php on line 94

Strict Standards: Redefining already defined constructor for class questionnaire_question inC:\inetpub\moodle_sandbox\mod\questionnaire\questiontypes\questiontypes.class.php on line 196
TCPDF ERROR: Some data has already been output, can't send PDF file

Without debugging I get the TCPDF ERROR. I then swapped it back to the A4_embeded type and it worked.

LEt me try using the non embedded certificate.php

Thoughts?

In reply to jeff masiello

by jeff masiello -

the swap to A4_non_embedded made no difference. That is, I copied that cert.php file to the test type.

I then went and reverted the type to A4_embedded in settings and viewed it and it worked. I think I might be missing a step in installing the new type but I am not sure what it is.

It gets through your mod to the call for output to browser and dies there.

In reply to jeff masiello

by jeff masiello -

solved on my end.

Turns out if i upload a new type it won't work but if i copy a directory and rename it ont he server it will. So it is a permissions issue. FYI we are running on a windows server. (sorry)

In reply to Mark Nelson

by Stephen Mr -

Please dont abandon me I really need ot get this up. What are my options.