Replicating/Moving

Replicating/Moving

by Bill Moseley -
Number of replies: 6
Can anyone suggest a method for moving a moodle site from one server to another, keeping data intact?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Bill Moseley

Re: Replicating/Moving

by Gustav W Delius -
There is a discussion of this issue at http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=1084 .

However it would be really nice if there was an easy and safe method to do it. I would guess that a lot of users need to move their moodle to new servers occasionally.

Perhaps the backup module could be extended to backup the whole site?
In reply to Gustav W Delius

by Eloy Lafuente (stronk7) -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
To move one *entire* installation from on server to other the best is to copy the db, the moodle directory and install them in the new place (see dicussion in previous post).

The backup utility is course-based and should be used to move individual courses (not the entire installation).

Anyway it has a *extra* feature. It allows to backup and restore everyuser account in a installation, allowing them to be moved from one installation to other (simply, select "all users" in backup and restore and every user in your old installation will be moved to the new one (but only one course, of course) smile.

Ciao.
In reply to Bill Moseley

by Rob Delissen -

I moved Moodle today, from one e-smith server to another.

Made a database dump, rsynched web and data directorys, and the dumpfile. Then imported the .sql in the new database and violá, one working Moodle.

In reply to Rob Delissen

by Frederic Triquet -
That's also what I did in order to make a "moodle-test" site for my teachers: eveything is duplicated (by a cron running at 0:00 on mondays) so the teachers can test everything on a moodle-site that really looks like the one given to students

I guess that enables them to prepare things, backup, upload the zip on the moodle-site and restore data...
This way they do not have to deal with the "hiding-eye" to be sure students don't look at their work.
I haven't tested it yet, though.

I had to modify some mail related things in the mdl_config table, so that no mail is sent to users (especially to students !).

I also manually added fake students (student1, student2, ...) with passwords that teachers know (password == login) so they can also deeply test things like quizzes, or surveys.

If anyone is interested in my unix script I can make it clean and attach it in this thread.

Fred