Editing welcome email 2.2.3

Re: Editing welcome email 2.2.3

by Colin Fraser -
Number of replies: 8
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

Well done, you found where to edit it...  Have you tried just editing it? I would be very reluctant to place a link to anything other than what is already there though. To me, this is an open door approach that might compromise the security of the Moodle.

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Annie Price -

Hi Colin,

Thanks for the advise on links - duly noted.

I don't want to just edit it as I'm scared of messing up.   When you look at the original text there is no indication of new paragraph etc., but the actual email has new paragraphs.  I wanted to make sure I knew what I was doing before I went ahead and edited.

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Priyanka A -

Hi,

I want to edit the email text. so I did the following:

1. Site Administration ->Language -> Language customization

2.  Select English from the dropdown menu  

3.  Click on “check out string into translator

4.  Click on “continue”

5.  goto page 16 and “welcometocoursetext”. Here you can edit the email text in the customize column.  Then click on “save and check in strings into files”

6. Click on “continue”

Unfortunately this didn’t work. So I went to  lang/en/moodle.php and edited welcometocoursetext manually and saved the file restarted the server. But even this did not work.

Where am I going wrong? Please help me.

Thanks,

Priyanka

In reply to Priyanka A

by Danny Sleator -

There are bugs in the code, and gaps in the documentation, but nonetheless I figured out how to do it.  (I'm using version 2.7, but the problems surrounding this seem to still exist.)

in ~/moodle/lang/en/moodle.php they define $string['newusernewpasswordtext']

What you need to do is copy that definition to a file called ~/moodledata/lang/en_local/moodle.php .  (See the bottom of this message if this file does not current exist.) Then edit that definition to make it the way you want it.

Then you have to purge the cache to see the effect of your changes.  To do this, use the menu on this path:

Site Administration / Development / Purge all caches

( see this page for more details https://docs.moodle.org/27/en/Purge_all_cache )

Some of the documentation suggests doing this kind of change using the feature under languages that lets you edit all the strings used in the entire system.  This does not work because, as somebody noted above, the strings are stripped of all newlines and strings of blanks before you can edit them.  So if you use this method, the email looks completely wrong, and is basically unreadable.  That's why I did it as described above.

Actually, you should probably first make some change using the feature under languages.  Then the file ~/moodledata/lang/en_local/moodle.php will be created for you with the correct preamble.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Danny Sleator

Re: Editing welcome email

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Just noting that it is possible to have custom welcome messages for individual courses using self enrolment by going to Course administration/Users/Enrolment methods and clicking the configuration icon for self enrolment.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Michael Stuer -

Hi Mary, I believe course enrollment and new user registration are two different things?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by iain stanley -

Whenever teachers use their own customised messages for specific courses, students for those courses are receiving a diffrent welcome message from a different teacher. It's always the same (incorrect) message from the same (incorrect) teacher.

Where can I change this incorrect message so that students receive the right messages from the right teachers?

In reply to Danny Sleator

by Michael Stuer -

Hi Danny,

Moodle (2.7.1) doesn't create the lang/en_local/ folder when I customise the language string in Moodle. Only the default lang/en folder is there.

Any ideas or a work-around you can suggest? Thanks!

In reply to Michael Stuer

by Michael Stuer -
Okay I solved this myself by creating the en_local folder and copying the original moodle.php into the newly created en_local folder. Any customisations made to the moodle.php in the en_local folder seem to take effect over the original file though they don't show in the language customisation module in Moodle itself.