MooTyper the typing instructor

Re: MooTyper the typing instructor

by Rob Johnson -
Number of replies: 18

Hi Jaka,

My teachers are wondering what the exclamation marks that appear in the student grade screen mean.

Thanks,

Rob

In reply to Rob Johnson

by Jaka Luthar -

"Exclamation marks are present if the person typed more than 60 chars in 5 seconds (which is kind of imposible)... or if the exercise took more than 10 minutes or something... so this is to warn teacher about a potencial cheeters..."

When the student is typing, his progress is instantly reported to server with ajax requests. I had to implement this logic, otherwise he could just refresh the page and start from the beginning if he made some mistakes.

As I'm writing this we haven't been working on mootyper for quite some time. So I'll have to announce some new versions. There are some suggestions from around here, than the suggestions from Jeremy W and also plugin backup has to be implemented (the procedure when the teacher wants to backup/restore course, with all the activities and other stuff). I don't know how and when I will find time for all this but I'm looking forward to at least have something new in the next two months.

In reply to Jaka Luthar

by Rob Johnson -

Thank you for the reply Jaka.  I now see that you had already answers the same questions earlier in this thread.  I am sorry for not reading more carefully.

Other features my teachers would like to see are:

• A pause button for students in case they are interrupted while completing an exercise.
  • A review page that shows students how they scored on each attempted lesson.
  • Teachers would like to be able to change settings like "Show keyboard."  After the setup is saved, this cannot be changed.

Thank you again for contributing this plugin to the Moodle community. smile

In reply to Rob Johnson

by Jaka Luthar -

For now I uploaded a new version with few new features. I picked the simple ones. Teacher can now sort grades entries and also "setup" can be changed afterwards.

I havent been up to date with moodle lately so we now have MooTyper 2.2 for Moodle 2.2. I don't know what was happening with Moodle 2.3 and 2.4 so I decided to go with Moodle 2.2. This can also be tested on 2.3 or 2.4, but I can't guaranntee anything.

What else needs to be done:

• Backup (priority: 3)
  • "Let the students see the results" (priority: 3)
  • Passwords (priority: 2)
  • Connect Mootyper grades with Moodle grades (priority: 2)
  • Show speed in WPM (priority: 1)
  • Add some ending message (priority: 1)
  • Pause button (priority: 1)
In reply to Jaka Luthar

by Rob Johnson -

Hi Jaka,

I have tested MooTyper 2.2 this week on Moodle 2.3.  Today, I installed it on my production site.  I have not had any problems, and the new features work just fine.  Thank you for the update. smile

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Rob Johnson

by Jaka Luthar -

Thanks... now we'll have 2.3 for Moodle 2.3... funny that... smile

In reply to Jaka Luthar

by Chuck Baughn -

MooTyper is perfect for my enirvonment. We're really enjoying it, keep up the great work. 

My team is excited for the implementation of WPM. We would also like to be able to remove users attempts.

Thanks, Chuck

In reply to Chuck Baughn

by Jaka Luthar -

Wellcome Chuck!

So is there any special trick to calculate WPM... any formula I could use?

In reply to Jaka Luthar

by Rob Johnson -

My teachers suggest taking hits per minute and dividing by 5.

In reply to Rob Johnson

by Jaka Luthar -

Ok ... I added wpm to grades and the button to remove attempt.. this two were not a big issue... smile

here's MooTyper 2.3 for Moodle 2.3

In reply to Jaka Luthar

by Rob Johnson -

Thank you for the update Jaka.  I have installed on my test server and noticed a couple of things.  On the copy of my production site, the wpm field does not get created if upgrading from mooTyper 2.2 or previous.  It does get created on a fresh installation.  I manually created the field, and it was fine after that.

Would it be possible to display WPM to students?  Please see the image below.

wpm

I also noticed that mooTyper 2.3 has the lesson names in Slovenian.  The exercises are in English.  It is just the name that is not.  Please see the image below.

lesson names

Thank you again for this module and your ongoing support. smile

Rob

In reply to Rob Johnson

by Chuck Baughn -

I would also like to note that the formula for calculating WPM might be off.

moo

Remove user attempts works just fine!

In reply to Chuck Baughn

by Jaka Luthar -
In reply to Jaka Luthar

by Rob Johnson -

Thank you for the quick update.  I still needed to create the wpm column in the grades table. For others upgrading, the column is named wpm.  It is set to decimal (10, 0) Null, Null.

The WPM calculation seems to be working.  I like that the value now displays for the student.  The pop-up after completing an exercise is nice too.  I suggest adding "WPM" to the pop-up so students know what the number represents.  See below.

wpm

As you can see, I am a slow typist. ;)

In reply to Rob Johnson

by Jaka Luthar -

Oh.. how could I have missed that.. mixed
Popup was just there for the testing...you were not supposed to see it smile
Looks like I forgot to comment it out.
Maybe we should make it this way...display all results in this popup and submit the form after user clicks "OK"... it actually makes sense smile

In reply to Jaka Luthar

by Rob Johnson -

Hi Jaka,

I hade a meeting with my teachers today, and they said the WPM pop-up at the end is confusing their students.  What code needs to be commented out so it no longer shows?

In reply to Rob Johnson

by Jaka Luthar -

oh.. it's in "typer.js" file... just delete line 45.....glad you guys are up to date...

In reply to Jaka Luthar

by Rob Johnson -

I am still getting the pop-up after deleting line 45 in typer.js.  I have purged the server cache and my browser cache.  Is there more code that needs deleting?

In reply to Rob Johnson

by Jaka Luthar -

No it's just that 'alert'... the line looks like this: alert(wpm);   ... that's the popup.

Try this: In Firefox go into some MooTyper activity and right click -> View page source

From there you can see if the script typer.js is included properly. If you click on it's url you will arrive directly on the script's code. See line 45 if it's there or not..

If the alert is there you still have some problem with cache... if not, there shouldn't be a popup.