Changing the base

Changing the base

by Sudaththa Ariyasena -
Number of replies: 5

Hello Fellow Moodlers!

I think I'm trying to attempt something that is not 'recommended'. For few days I have been trying to replace the 'base' with this awesome frontend framework called http://foundation.zurb.com/. I want to change all the layouts and some of the renderers to match this, and if it is possible add jQuery support instead of YUI cos I'm more familiar with the former.

I want to know whether someone has tried something like this before and what were the outcomes that you've got. Any tips or advice that anyone want to share?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sudaththa Ariyasena

Re: Changing the base

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi,

My advice is first DO NOT change BASE theme. Better make a CLONE copy of it using the tutorial How to clone a Moodle 2.2 theme

You may also find How to use jQuery with Moodle useful too.

I have tried using 960 Grid System and that was easy enough however Moodle is a little too ridgid and there is little you can really style in the normal layout of Base theme.  You need to be more adventurous and start adding new block-regions, but this is proving a bit problematic in Moodle 2.3.x But Moodle 2.2.4 works OK so I would start out using that version.

HTH

Mary

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Mary Evans

by Sudaththa Ariyasena -

Hi!

Thanx a lor for the response, yes actually that is what I did. I cloned the Base and then changed the layouts. I'm making a little bit progress in getting it to work. 

I'm not trying to make a really flexible one, instead, I'm focusing on making one with one sidebar and content area, to keep things minimum. I'll post the updates when I get somewhere. :D

Thanx for the tips!

Sudaththa

In reply to Sudaththa Ariyasena

by David Scotson -
I'm currently trying to do the same thing, but with Twitter's Bootstrap rather than Zurb's Foundation.

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=208162

I can't say I'd recommend it if you're looking for a quick and easy way to make a theme, but if you're looking for a challenge then I think we'd be able to help each other as both frameworks are broadly similar in their approach.
In reply to David Scotson

by Stuart Lamour -
Picture of Plugin developers

David - we started a twitter bootstrap moodle theme here - https://github.com/stuartlamour/moodle_bootstrap feel free to have a look and use any bits you want.

Sudaththa - zurb is fantastic, we manged to get the responsive desing going quite easily on an old moodle1.9 with an early zurb, so don't give up!

cheers

stuart

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Stuart Lamour

by David Scotson -
Thanks for that, I've been meaning to look into renderers but didn't really know where to start with it all. I'll see if I can get my head round how you've used them, looks useful.