Engagement analytics block

Engagement analytics block

by Joseph Rézeau -
Number of replies: 4
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Philip,

I've just visited your "learning analytics block website page" and am surprised at your choice of "Traffic light risk view" colors.  They are in the exact reverse position to what I am expecting. Surely a moodle user with a high engagement score should be shown with a green light and one with a low engagement score with a red light. Or maybe we are seeing things differently in the Northern hemisphere where I live and the Southern hemisphere where you are.thoughtful

All the best,

Joseph

Attachment 14-08-2012 09-39-40.jpg
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

Re: Engagement analytics block

by Phillip Dawson -

Thanks for the feedback Joseph - the water may swirl the other way in the toilet in .au but the traffic lights work the same ;)

What you're looking at in that early screenshot is a 'Calculation of risk'. You can see that I'm at low risk at 8% and the Admin User is at 71% risk. You're not the first person to give this particular feedback, which might suggest things are a little less than intuitive. I'm thinking that with the title 'Engagement analytics' you're probably thinking "this student is 71% engaged" whereas we are thinking "this student is 71% disengaged". Very willing to explore better ways to express this concept, but they might not make it in the first release (which is imminent!)

(Edited by Martin Dougiamas to change subject - original submission Wednesday, 15 August 2012, 10:43 AM)

In reply to Phillip Dawson

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Yeah there's definitely a UI dissonance between the title and the number.   I guess you could either change the title to "Disengagement risk" or change the numbers to their complement 71% --> 29%.

In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Adam Olley -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers

For now I'm going to place some text above the list of users.

"Name and the level of risk"

Makes it more obvious and doesn't require renaming/reworking things.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Phillip Dawson

by Ed Main -

It matters not which way the water is swirling (wink), this is a fantastic and very useful addition!