General icons and icons in editmode

General icons and icons in editmode

by Alexander K. -
Number of replies: 4

Hey all,

We’re developing a theme and facing the following problem.

We want to different between icons in "editmode" and the "general icons" used in menus, blocks and other sides. The layout of icons to edit an activity are completely different to those in menus and blocks. We want improve the user experience, by highlighting the user what has changed by pressing the "Edit on-Button".

Unfortunately some essential icons are mixed in the pix directory, and are the same in all contexts. (see example.png left side) So simple overriding, for example pix_core/i/roles doesn't help. (see example.png right side)

Any suggestion how to fix it for our issue, or to restructure icons in future releases?

Thanks
alex

Attachment example.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Alexander K.

Re: General icons and icons in editmode

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi,

First of all you will need to make new icons for all the places you want to change them for. You then need to give each new icon the same filename of the one it is replacing, Only the filename, you understand, the extension can be png or gif or jpg.

You then need to add the new icon to the correct directory in the theme pix_core folder.

So basically what you are doing is replacing the old icon with the new one. Moodle will find it automatically providing it is in the correct folder. You need to Purge all caches in Site Administration > Development > Purge all caches.

You might also fined Themes 2.0 How to use images within your theme

HTH

In reply to Mary Evans

by Alexander K. -

Hey,

thanks for your reply. As you can see on my attachment we already realized your described steps.
The problem is that we want to have completely different icons in Edit-Mode when changing or adding for example an activity in a course. And these icons (move, view, hide, duplicate ...) should be different from the icons used elsewhere (like in the settings, blocks or on other locations...)

When we turn edit on, the icons which are now available or have changed by pressing the button should be visualized different.
I hope that helps clarify myself.

alex

In reply to Alexander K.

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

As I see it the problem with ALL icons is that none really tell you what they are. Most of the time you have to guess what they are suposed to represent.

However, you cannot have a different icon for Roles when in editing as this would be too confusing. Roles relates to Users.

If you want to accentuate the Editing Icons you can make them look like this...(see image below). It is the same icon but made clearer, if that helps? The CSS for this is attached...

If you want to suggest an improvment to the way ICONS are used in Moodle you can do so using Moodle Tracker.

Mary

Edit Icons

In reply to Mary Evans

by Alexander K. -

Ok that's a nice workaround which will be maybe helpful.
I'll suggest an improvement to reorder / restructure the iconset and maybe the directories.
I think that the actual structure isn't useful for theme developers and programers too.

For example the fact:
i - General icons
t - General icons

Thanks for your replies.
alex