Need options for site announcements

Need options for site announcements

by Ben Lollar -
Number of replies: 4

I have checked several options to send out site-wide announcements for our school, but cannot seem to find the right block or plugin to pull it off. All I need is a block in the top center of every user's home page that displays news and announcements. I need control of users and the ability to lock it in place so no students accidentally hide it. It would be nice if it were a news block so we could have dates and times of posting listed as well.

If anyone has a suggestion, let me know!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ben Lollar

Re: Need options for site announcements

by Rob Monk -
I'd love to be able to email all site users too. Anyone got a solution for that?
In reply to Rob Monk

by Itamar Tzadok -

Other than the news and announcements forum that automatically sends email notifications on new posts? smile

In reply to Rob Monk

by Richard Price -

Depending on which version of Moodle you run,
within the Site News, Edit settings,  You can adjust the Subscription settings, this would allow you to quickly do this from the front page.

The screenshot attached, is from Moodle 2.2 with the settings block on the dock. We use ours for Word-of-the-week rather than school news. The email system has groups set up for global distribution so that is often used.

Attachment MoodleNewsSettingsScreenShot.png
In reply to Ben Lollar

by Itamar Tzadok -

Should be possible with the Dataform. You can have an instance on the frontpage (in the mainmenu block so that it is not visible there) with a view that displays the announcements. Then you can add a Dataform view block to the default My Moodle page and set it up to display the designated view from the announcements Dataform. smile