Student File Upload and online text submission not visible

Student File Upload and online text submission not visible

by wayne schaaf -
Number of replies: 7

I'm using Moodle 2.3 with the new assignment module.  Its a new site.

As an Admin, I selected "Assignment" from the Resource and Activity Link.

Choose the options for uploading and online submissions and saved that.

When I view the Assignment - it only shows the Title and description - no link to upload - no link to do online submission.

As an Admin, I can upload files for download fine ... it's just the student submissions that is totally invisible.   Did I miss a step or does somethine else need to be enabled or installed?   

Attached is all the student sees.

Attachment Screen Shot 2012-08-02 at 10.23.22 PM.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to wayne schaaf

Re: Student File Upload and online text submission not visible

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Are you logged in with a real student account or did you just "switch role to student"?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by wayne schaaf -

Switched - As an Admin.   I don't see how to create a Student Role.    I have manual enrollment turned on.   But I don't see the Course Admininstration block - just the Site Administration block.   If that's only viewable by Teachers, I don't see have to create an account with a Teacher Role either??   What am I missing?

In reply to wayne schaaf

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi there. To test whether something works for students it is better to have a real student account (even if it is a fake student if you see what I meansmile) rather than switching your role to a student,  because that doesn't always give a true picture. So if you don't already have students online then go to Settings>Site admin>users>accounts and make an account and then enrol them into your course via Settings>course admin>enrolled users. Then log in with that student's details to check whether the assignment displays properly for them. And if it still doesn't -then post backsmile

In reply to Mary Cooch

by wayne schaaf -

Still no File Upload or Online Submission links.   

Also, the Class Administration block does not show on the home page for either the Admin or Manager role (likely all roles smile   Am I missing something?  I don't see any option to add that block to the left sidebar?  Maybe these issues are related?

In reply to wayne schaaf

by wayne schaaf -

Any further clues on what I posted yesterday - This is my first Moodle install - and I'm "stalled out" on these two issues.

In reply to wayne schaaf

by Mary Cooch -

Are you able to send me privately an admin login and I will take a look? Sometimes two pairs of eyes are better than one, although I can't promise anything. Feel free to send me a private message if you want - although I am in the UK and soon about to go to bed; will be back online in about 8 hours.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Mary Cooch -

Hi Wayne. I took a look in your Moodle with your permission and it seems to work fine. YOu need to have file submissions set to "yes" (and then choose a number of submissions if desired) for students to be able to upload work; otherwise they just type in text, which is fine too. I worked on your "this is to test upload" assignment. Here is the setting to do that

Then a student when logged in as a student will go to their assignment and see the "add submission" button which they click on

When they click there they see a place to either upload or drag/drop their file and/or a place to type a response online. There are both here

You the teacher, once they have uploaded their work , when you click the assignment you will see a class list and you will see their uploaded files/and or online text work

Attachment wayne5.png