Please, public statistics for contrib plugins

Please, public statistics for contrib plugins

by Juan Leyva -
Number of replies: 20
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Now that Moodle 2.3 is out, and there will be a lot of sites using the Upgrade notification system, it's time for having nice statistics for contrib plugins:

- Number of downloads (total, weekly)

- Number of Moodle installations using the plugin (2.3 and onwards)

I think these statistics can motivate contrib developers a lot,  they will be good also for Moodle admins and users

Is there any chance for having these statistics available? I think It's a must feature than other OpenSource projects already have.

Average of ratings: Useful (5)
In reply to Juan Leyva

Re: Please, public statistics for contrib plugins

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Dear Juan,

I would love this to happen as I often only get comments of 'I love this plugin but can it do...' or 'I love this plugin but... x... is not working for me please help'.  A bit more positive motivation needed smile

As an addition to the second point the ability to see statistics of the version installed as found in the plugin's version.php file.  That would help to understand how many users are using an out of date version and advertise more to upgrade.

Cheers,

Gareth

In reply to Juan Leyva

by Itamar Tzadok -

While I appreciate the potential usefulness of such a feature and have implemented something to that effect in the dataform, we must remember that outside a central updating system (and who wants something like that?) the numbers are easy to abuse and in this respect may be counterproductive. smile

In reply to Itamar Tzadok

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Could you expand on the possible abuses Itamar, I am assuming you are thinking of people gaming the download stats? I have recently been exploring the world of Wordpress and they have some interestin approaches to third party software.

In reply to Marcus Green

by Itamar Tzadok -

"Soft" abuses. For instance, if the counter counts downloads then you can simply keep clicking the link to increase the number of downloads of your plugin. It's not a real concern. It just makes the stats worthless. To count actual installations and activations is a whole different story for which you need admins consent for pushing or pulling stats from their sites. smile

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

If consent was optional I suspect many people would agree to it in a similar way that people will register their site with Moodle. As a quiz nut it occured to me it would be nice if moodle sites could send back stats on what types of questions people are using.....

by Paul Nicholls -

As you say, it makes the stats worthless - to the developer!  There's no benefit to a developer in artificially inflating stats, since it just means that they don't have any idea how many people are genuinely using it.

I like the Drupal-style approach of showing downloads vs "reported installs" - perhaps the latter could be automatically calculated based on the number of update check pings from unique IP addresses in the past [insert time period here]?  That wouldn't catch every install, but no approach is likely to do that - and it should minimise abuse.  The only problem is that you'd obviously only get install stats from 2.3 onwards - but I don't really see any way of getting stats from existing pre-2.3 installs anyway, without requiring site admins to update Moodle.

Depending on whether HQ are capturing IP addresses for plugin downloads, it could even be possible to limit the download stats to unique IP addresses who have downloaded the version in question, which would also help minimise both deliberate gaming and inflation due to accidental repeat downloads.

On the whole, I'm definitely in favour of some kind of stats - both as a developer and as a potential user.  It'd be nice to have some kind of indication both of how my plugins are being used (particularly with new versions of Decaf - I ask in the forums for people to test them, but I can't tell whether the lack of responses is because nobody's trying it or because nobody's finding any issues to report!) and how wide the userbase of a plugin I'm considering making use of is.

-Paul

In reply to Paul Nicholls

by Itamar Tzadok -

There's definitely some benefit in artificially inflating stats or else there wouldn't be any use for PR. smile

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

There is always a use for PR even if it's only to make the coffee - perhaps this is why Starbucks is so successful ;)

So even though a downloads statistic is as good as 'views' on YouTube for a recommendation and therefore a good metric when combined with other metrics if dropped then could we rely on an installations metric based upon unique Moodle registration identifiers?  And indeed have the ability for users to 'rate' a plugin based upon their review?  Like Amazon does for products and eBay does for sellers - with the ability for a moderator to remove blatently deflamitory ratings.

Cheers,

Gareth

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Itamar Tzadok -

And with that ability comes also the ability for a moderator to not remove (and even add) blatantly pr-itory ratings. And who will moderate the moderators? wink

by Gareth J Barnard -

True, but the moderators can be moderated by Moodle HQ in their actions and ultimately the Moodle community.

But as Paul states developers are better off spending time improving their plugins.  Which reminds me, I have a few little changes to make... smile

BTW Itamar, have you ever seen 'Yes Minister' / 'Yes Prime Minister' (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080306/ / http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086831/) as getting a vibe from you in this area ;)

Cheers,

Gareth

by Paul Nicholls -

I'm not convinced that there's any real benefit to a developer in inflating their download stats in the Moodle plugins database - but that's not to say there isn't benefit to be had in inflating stats elsewhere!

In any case, the "reported installs" stat should be harder to artificially inflate (though I'm sure it'd still be possible if you were really dedicated to doing so - but if you've got the time and effort to put into that, why not put it into improving your plugin so that people will actually want it?!) - and would be the most useful stat.  As with the Drupal example, it should be the more prominent figure - the downloads are really shown, in my opinion, to back the "reported installs" figure.

In reply to Paul Nicholls

by Itamar Tzadok -

I'm happily not trying to convince anyone in anything. I'm not against the whole thing. I'm just offering another perspective while taking a break from improving my plugins so that I will actually want them. Whatever makes us happy. smile

by Gareth J Barnard -

Umm, watching the women's beach volleyball at the Olympics and shooting my recurve bow makes me happy but thats a completely different subject :D

In reply to Juan Leyva

by Frank Ralf -
JFTR: That's how a contributed module page looks in Drupal (http://drupal.org/project/moodle_courselist ).

Frank
Attachment Drupal_Moodle_Course_List_256.png
In reply to Frank Ralf

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I beleive this is on the todo list at Moodle HQ, along with some other enhancements like the automatied update notifications for admins, and integrating the plugins DB with AMOS, so that all contrib plugins can be translated.

Strangely, I can't see a MDLSITE bug about it (http://tracker.moodle.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&jqlQuery=project+%3D+MDLSITE+AND+component+%3D+%22moodle.org%2Fplugins%22+AND+resolution+%3D+Unresolved+ORDER+BY+priority+DESC)