Navigation block Topic links

Navigation block Topic links

by Chrissy Trenholme -
Number of replies: 4

Hi, Is it possible to point the topic links in the Navigation block to sections rather than topics? 

We find the link to sections more useable than the one to topics as it allows the student to go directly to where they want to be without having to scroll through the general topic area and without hiding any other topics.

Thanks, Chrissy

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Chrissy Trenholme

Re: Navigation block Topic links

by Paul Masson -

Chrissy,

Sorry you haven't gotten any response.  You may want to look at my post and see if it's similar to what your looking for.

Paul

In reply to Paul Masson

by Chrissy Trenholme -

Hi Paul,

Thanks for this, in 1.9 we used the html block to create links to sections and this worked really well, although they were not as complex as the OU ones, but in 2.2 the Navigation block with default links to topics is good but has its drawbacks for us.  However I understand it is not easy to change as it involves alot of coding and so we will work with it.

Chrissy

In reply to Chrissy Trenholme

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

HI Chrissy. I am not sure what you mean by link to "sections" as opposed to "topics" - as topics are sections aren't they? The navigation since 2.2 works the same as section links if you have it enabled in Settings > Site administration > Appearance > Navigation. So what exactly are you wanting that is different?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Chrissy Trenholme -

Hi Mary,

There is a difference.  When you select a link from the navigation block it takes you to that topic but it is underneath the top topic area which, if full of information, means that you have to scroll down to the topic you have selected.  It also hides all the other topics from view.

When you select a link from the section block then you are taken directly to that topic (no scrolling) and all the other topics are still in view, so you don't have click to unhide.  It is quicker and more direct.

I have got my 'link course sections' ticked in Settings > Site Administration > Appearance > Navigation, but this does not make the links in the navigation block work the same as section links.

Chrissy