Personal Glossary

Personal Glossary

by Josh Ferris -
Number of replies: 9

Is it possible to set up the glossary module so glossary terms entered are only viewable by the individual user and teacher?

This question has been asked here: http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=27927

However, that was a few years ago now. Is there an easier way to do this?

Using Moodle 2.1.2.

Thanks,

Josh

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Josh Ferris

Re: Personal Glossary

by Miles Derksen -

Yes, I would like to have this info as well... creating a separate group for each student seems pretty cumbersome especially in my situation where I have new students registering throughout the year...

Anyone have a simple MOD that might work... please?

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Miles Derksen

by Itamar Tzadok -

The Database module may be used as a personal activity by setting the activity to require approval and not approving any entry. The Dataform plugin achieves the same effect by a designated "group mode" called 'seperate participants'. In both modules the entry form may be designed as a glossary entry. hth smile

In reply to Itamar Tzadok

by Miles Derksen -

Yes I did try the database...and I thought that it might work...but then there were a few things I didn't like about it... such as NO PRINT Function for the database - I know that you can Export the data but I want an easy solution for students to be able to print out their list - if that is what they desire.

I also tryed a Plugin Called Flashcard which was sort of interesting, but the teachers makes up one master list...it would be nice for this plugin as well, if the students could make their own list which would be graded.

by Itamar Tzadok -

There are two types of export in the database/dataform module. What you need for your students is the ##export## tag which uses the portfolios api and allows wysiwyg exporting to html.

But you can take a simpler approach in which you just need to add css @media print rule in the css tab of the module to cleanup header and footer when printing and then students could print out their list via the browser's print option.

The Dataform plugin allows you to apply all kinds of interesting effects to entries, including practice where the definition is displayed and the student need to select the right concept from a dropdown or type it in a textbox. It also allows you to grade the activity either in the entry level or in the activity level.

smile

In reply to Itamar Tzadok

by Miles Derksen -

Thanks Itamar... looks like I need to take a more indepth look at the Database plugin... just to be clear.

In the CSS Tab, I just add

css@media - do I need to add any other code in addition to this (I am familiar with CSS although I haven't used this particular style sheet in my web design)... I will also try to look up some info on this.

Thanks again, you have been most helpful!

by Itamar Tzadok -

The css should look something like the following

@media print {

html, body {
margin: 0;
padding: 0;
width: 100%;
}

body {
background-color: White;
color: Black;
font-size: 75%;
}

div.tabtree, div#page-header, div.navbar,
div.headermenu, div.paging, div#page-footer,
div.datapreferences {
display: none;
}

table {
text-align: left;
}
}

You need to check the actual selectors in the designated page as they may differ between themes. smile

In reply to Josh Ferris

by Paula Clough -

A glossary can also be set up for approval needed  and if approval is not given, the student and the teacher are the only ones who will see it.  The teacher cannot comment on the entry or Moodle will assume that approval has been granted.  If you want students to be able to edit their entries over time, you will also want to set the Edit always? choice to Yes.  The glossary can print.

No need for making groups.  Though in the newer Moodle, you can add groups through a csv file upload. That's half the work.

Paula Clough cool

In reply to Paula Clough

by Josh Ferris -

Thanks Paula. Changing the approval setting has solved my problem.

In reply to Josh Ferris

by Miles Derksen -

I just want to thank all of you for your input and suggestions. You have helped me a great deal as I use this summer to prepare my courses for fall. I am so impressed!

Thank-you!