Moodle 2.3 File Picker Not Displaying Folders & Image Thumbnails Accordingly

Moodle 2.3 File Picker Not Displaying Folders & Image Thumbnails Accordingly

by Ali Hastie -
Number of replies: 19

Hi

We are using Moodle 2.3.1+ and the file picker does not display the folders or the image thumbnails within the file picker window using IE 8 & 9, as shown within the images below. We have tried using the file picker with many Moodle Themes but still have the same problems.

The file picker worked accordingly for us within the 2.3 beta version, which included displaying image thumbnails and folders accordingly. We then we carried out a clean installation of 2.3 (this is where the problem started) and we have recently upgraded to 2.3.1+ and still having this issue.

The folders etc display with using Firefox 13.0.1 but won't display the image thumbnails.  

view problem view problem

Cheers

Ali

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ali Hastie

Re: Moodle 2.3 File Picker Not Displaying Folders & Image Thumbnails Accordingly

by Rainer Schaufelberger -

Hi Ali

I have exactly the same problem. What I can say:

- I had this problem on my test server with 2.3 beta installed.

- A fresh installation 2.3 beta was OK. (Same browser)

- On our production server with 2.3.1same problem on one client pc but no problem on an other client pc

Maybe it has to do with the cache.

Hope to find out more.

In reply to Rainer Schaufelberger

Re: Moodle 2.3 File Picker Not Displaying Folders & Image Thumbnails Accordingly

by Rainer Schaufelberger -

Hi

I found out:

It is the compatibilty mode in IE that causes that trouble.

In reply to Rainer Schaufelberger

by Ali Hastie -

Thanks guys. GD enabled Dan, version 2.0

So this is a bug, right? smile

In reply to Ali Hastie

by Dan Poltawski -
Hi Ali,

If you go to Site Administration > Server > Environment and look at the line 'php_extension gd', do you have that showing as OK?

Moodle needs the gd php extension to generate the thumbnails.
In reply to Dan Poltawski

by Matt Fedorko -

Just upgraded Moodle to 2.3 last night and have uncovered a pile of wonk. Our guy is only able to work evenings, so I'm trying to report all of the wonky behavior to him. First up is the new File Picker which is certainly a departure from what it used to look like. Unfortunately, it looks nothing like promised and is, in fact, quite ugly. I haven't found anyone having this same problem, and obvioulsy it's not supposed to look like this. Anyone have any guesses?

Same thing shows up in Chrome, IE, and FF with cache flushes in browser, and a system level cache clear in Moodle.

In reply to Matt Fedorko

by Dan Poltawski -

As asked in the other thread about the activity chooser, are you using a custom theme? This seems to be something specific to your installation.

In reply to Dan Poltawski

by Matt Fedorko -

Thanks for the dual response, Dan. As with the other problem, it was appearing in every theme, and a reinstall of the code base fixed this problem as well.

In reply to Ali Hastie

by Sue Moss -

We're having the same problem using Internet Explorer

In reply to Sue Moss

by Ali Hastie -

Hi

Just carried out a clean and fresh copy of 2.3.1+ (build: 2012061900) and we still have the display problem within IE.

Anyone have any guidance on this please as our staff will be back in 1 week shy

Cheers

Ali

In reply to Ali Hastie

by andy dalrymple -

Hi,

Have the same problem in IE compatibility mode with the file picker.
Unfortunately, our college network has IE9 set up to display in compatibility mode be default.

Any help is welcome.

Andy

In reply to andy dalrymple

by Ali Hastie -

We will have to educate our staff and students to use the compatibility mode, which we did not want to do. Easy I know but they will be taking in so much (as in new knowledge) anyway going from 1.9 to 2.3.

Our thumbnails only display within LCF's and recent files.

Though, It is a major improvement on previous versions of the file picker.

Cheers

In reply to Ali Hastie

by Marcus Hoberg -

Hi,

we encountered the same issue: the file picker is not displaying right in Internet Explorere 8 and 9. We have moodle 2.3.1 20120807 installed, and the issue is independent from the theme. Firefox works well.

"Site Administration > Server > Environment and look at the line 'php_extension gd', do you have that showing as OK" is OK.

In addition: The ie needs long time to load the file picker, drag and drop for file upload doesn´t seem to work.

Any idea? Best Regards, Marcus

Attachment moodle2.3.1-file-picker-issue-ie9.png
In reply to Marcus Hoberg

by Marcus Hoberg -

The funny (?) think is: the same browser works well on moodle.org!

Attachment moodle2.3.1-file-picker-moodle.org-ie9.png

by Marcus Hoberg -

OK, it was the compatibility mode. We had a general setting for all intranet sites. Unchecking the box did it.

Attachment moodle2.3.1-file-picker-moodle-solution-ie.png

by Akinsaya Delamarre -

If this doesn't solve the problem, you should submit a tracker issue to http://tracker.moodle.org

In reply to Akinsaya Delamarre

by Sue Moss -

Is this something that will be corrected moving forward? Our whole college has this compatability mode checked so the file picker will not display correctly without unchecking it for every user? Not very practical especially when its not a problem with 2.2 (the version currently being used throughout the college), and means going live with 2.3 is a no go for us sad

In reply to Sue Moss

by Marcus Hoberg -

Hi Sue,

I´wouldn´t say that moodle is responsible for MicroSoft breaches thoughtful. The compatibilitymode exists, because the MS IE over years ignored W3C standards (have a look at FrontPage source code!). It seems that today´s IE versions are much closer to the standards, but in order to display old IE6/7 web pages, the compamode is necessary. The major issue for us is that the MS IE9 default setting is "yes, for all intranetsites", meaning you have to switch it off manually per site.

But the compatibilitymode does much more: it blocks all HTML5 elements! This lead to the situation that we were not able to display MP4 videos via the HTML5 video element - which is necessary for the iPad!

So you have the choice: either stick to the default compamode for intranet sites, or do not display MP4 videos on iPads by default. The best way would be to check all intranet sites for compatibility and define a positive list if necessary. Or choose another browser big grin.

Best Regards, Marcus

by Tejas Desai -

I can cofirm that file-picker does work well on my 32-bit windows Pro 7 PC. I uploaded this image using it.Ant

In reply to Tejas Desai

by Ali Hastie -

Yeah, works perfectly on here (moodle.org)