Adding pages to custom menus

Adding pages to custom menus

by Darlene Murphy -
Number of replies: 36

I am using Moodle v 2.2 and the them I am using is aardvark_postit.

I want to create Custom Menu Items using the Theme Settings in Moodle.

I want an HTML page to be displayed within Moodle, when we click on the Custom Menu Items.  I have the menu created, but I want the pages to look like the theme and where I can put information in the center. 

Currently, when I create the Custom Menu Items, they display the HTML page outside Moodle and we have to press the Browser's "Back" button to return to Moodle.

Can anyone assist me with this.  Thank you.

LadyDee

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Darlene Murphy

Re: Adding pages to custom menus

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi,

It should not be too hard to style your HTML pages to make it look like Aardvark Post-IT, it is a very simple theme.

How are you wanting to add content, will you be using Dreamweaver or someother webpage software?

Alternatively you could create webpages as a resource using Moodle, this way you would have a ready made ready themed page. Here is an example.  If you click on the Home button in the menu of tha example page, you get back to  the main site.

If you choose to do it this way you can add customised blocks on the page or no blocks at all and just add the content via the edit settings for that page.

HTH

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Darlene Murphy -

I will be using either dreamweaver or web matrix.

Thanks

by Darlene Murphy -

I would like to create a web page using Moodle, but when I click on add a resource it does not have a web page to it.

LadyDee

by Miriam Laidlaw -
Picture of Plugin developers

Page

You don't see this option in your "add a resource" menu?

In reply to Miriam Laidlaw

by Darlene Murphy -

Yes I do and after creating an about page, what should I call the title so an html or like should it about.html.

LadyDee

by Miriam Laidlaw -

Moodle will create its own URL for the page.

I'm not entirely sure I understand what you're trying to do, so I think I may have sent you down the wrong track?

You want to link to pages in your custom menu that aren't external pages so that people don't leave Moodle to view them. Yes?

Example 1: The "Our theme services" menu here links to "courses" on the site.

Example 2: The "MoodleBites courses" menu here links to "pages" on the site.

In both instances you don't leave the Moodle site, you still see the theme, but we are able to put what content we like in the middle. Is this what you want to do?

In reply to Miriam Laidlaw

by Darlene Murphy -

I want to do the pages myself, now have someone else do them.

LadyDee

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

In the Custom Menu you would do some like...

About|http://moodle.org/user/view.php?id=1463809&course=5|About us|

the actual URL here is to your profile page on Moodle.org so in the same way you would copy the URL in the browser of your About page and paste it as I have in this example above.

In reply to Mary Evans

by Darlene Murphy -

What I do not understand is how the vew page is created.  Should I use web matrix which creates views in MVC, or should I use dreamweaver which creates php files as well.  I do I know what to name it? like this has course=5.  Just wanting someone to tell me how to actually create the page.

LadyDee

by Mary Evans -

OK...to create HTML pages ONLY using Dremaweaver...

In your Moodle site add a directory to store all your HTML pages.

For example:

http://somesitename.com/moodle/information/ (where 'information' is the name of the directory you are adding.

Now you can set up Dreamweaver to upload all the HTML pages that you want to create, to this directory. You can give the pages useful names like...

about.htm
disclaimer.htm
sitemap.htm

Then style these in the normal way that you are used to. I am assuming you know how to create a webpage in Dreamweaver?

In reply to Mary Evans

by Darlene Murphy -

Thank you so much.  I will work on this, it sounds easy enough.  I appreciate your assistance.

Thank you

LadyDee

by Darlene Murphy -

OK, after doing some good reading from this posting, I was able to create an About|http://moodle.org/user/view.php?id=22|About us|  I did this by using the add resources and choosing page, putting the title and information in and puting the link in the theme setting.  Only problems my information on the right side, like the calendar, etc does not show up.

LadyDee

by Mary Evans -

Now that you have the pages created, using Moodle, you can ADD BLOCKS to those pages if you selcet 'Edit settings' when you are in the page you can to add blocks to.

In reply to Mary Evans

by Darlene Murphy -

I do not see where you can add blocks.  I have the select "edit settings" on and I am inside of the page.  There are no editing tools here.

LadyDee

by Mary Evans -

So that I have this exactly correct, because in my working version of a Moodle generated webpage, made by adding it as a resouce from the Main Menu in the frontpage, I have side blocks in the page, and when editing I can add more blocks to the page. So first can I ask...

1. which version of Moodle you are using?
  2. which page did you start from where you added the resourse page?
    • did you create it from inside a course page?
    • or did you create it via the Main Menu in the Frontpage?
    • if none of the above can you explain where and how?

Thanks

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Darlene Murphy -

I am using version 2.2 (v. 20120523).  I added my page from the home page.  No I did not create it inside a course page, yes I created it from the main men on the frontpage. 

Also I have create three pages this way so far, one is Information for teachers and it come up when I click on it, one is Information for students and it does not come up when I click on it on the tab bar but will open from the side menu, the other is Site Policy and it comes up when I click on it from the tab bar.

LadyDee

by Mary Evans -

Do any of them have side bars with Navigation or Settings in them when you open the page when you are logged is as Admin?

Is there any way I could have permission to enter your site pages and check what's happening? Is the site open to visitors?

In reply to Mary Evans

by Darlene Murphy -

I am doing the developing on my server for now before I upload it to my hosting site.  Yes they have site bars with Nagivation and Settings.  I am always logged on as Admin.

LadyDee

by Mary Evans -

That's great! Now we are getting somewhere.

1. Go to the Frontpage where you see the Main Menu
  2. In the Settings block turn editing ON
  3. Now all the editing icons will be visible below your page links.
  4. Try editing each page link inturn by first clicking on the edit icon (hand holding pen or a pencil depending on the icon) below the link.
  5. This opens up the Editing page of the page you want to add blocks to. It looks the same as the Editing page which you see if you go to the page itself. But in THIS page you can see the ADD BLOCK.
  6. Now you can add your favorite blocks!

Hopefully so at least! LOL

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Darlene Murphy -

I have done everything as stated above but I do not see the editing tools or the add blocks like I do on the main page.

I also found out that it I go to my links in the top bar from main they work fine, but from anywhere else they do not.

LadyDee

by Darlene Murphy -

Thank you got it working now.

LadyDee

by Mary Evans -

I am so relieved to here that!

In reply to Mary Evans

by Darlene Murphy -

Rebooted and did clean ups.  But I still can not get the a top navigation bar tab to open if I am in another one.

LadyDee

by Mary Evans -

Not sure what you mean?  Are you talking about the menubar or something else?

In reply to Mary Evans

by Darlene Murphy -

Yes, I added a menu bar to the top and have Information for Teachers, Information for Students, etc.  If I click on Information for Teachers from the main page it works, then if I click on Information for Students from the Teachers page I get a 404 error., but if I click on Information for Students from the main page it works.

LadyDee

by Mary Evans -

And you have set this up in Theme settings using the custommenu options there?I will need to check this out...it sounds like it could be a BUG that needs fixing.

I'll get back to you on this.

In reply to Mary Evans

by Mary Evans -

I've just tested this and the menus I have work OK, so I can only sumise you are using the wrong URL. You need to add the full URL

It should looks something like this...

http://localhost/moodle/mod/page/view.php?id=18

In reply to Mary Evans

by Darlene Murphy -

I did not have Moode in the path,  I put in the path what is stated in the link when I opened it.  I just copied that and did a paste like this: http://localhost:25799/mod/page/view.php?id=23

LadyDee

by Mary Evans -

Well that's strange as the links I have done in the same way work. I wonder if this would work any better?

http://127.0.0.1/mod/page/view.php?id=23

In reply to Mary Evans

by Darlene Murphy -

That would not even open the page.  And I have a nother problem with one of the pages I created.  I was adding a block to it and now it will not open, I can not deleted it and I get the following when trying either:

HTTP Error 500.0 - Internal Server Error

The page cannot be displayed because an internal server error has occurred.

Most likely causes:

• IIS received the request; however, an internal error occurred during the processing of the request. The root cause of this error depends on which module handles the request and what was happening in the worker process when this error occurred.
  • IIS was not able to access the web.config file for the Web site or application. This can occur if the NTFS permissions are set incorrectly.
  • IIS was not able to process configuration for the Web site or application.
  • The authenticated user does not have permission to use this DLL.
  • The request is mapped to a managed handler but the .NET Extensibility Feature is not installed.

Things you can try:

• Ensure that the NTFS permissions for the web.config file are correct and allow access to the Web server's machine account.
  • Check the event logs to see if any additional information was logged.
  • Verify the permissions for the DLL.
  • Install the .NET Extensibility feature if the request is mapped to a managed handler.
  • Check the failed request tracing logs for additional information about this error. For more information, click here.

Detailed Error Information:

Module    FastCgiModule
Notification    ExecuteRequestHandler
Handler    PHP53_via_FastCGI1
Error Code    0x00000000
Requested URL    http://localhost:25799/mod/page/view.php?id=22
Physical Path    C:\Users\LadyDee\Documents\My Web Sites\Moodle\mod\page\view.php
Logon Method    Anonymous
Logon User    Anonymous
Request Tracing Directory    C:\Users\LadyDee\Documents\IISExpress\TraceLogFiles\MOODLE

More Information:

This error means that there was a problem while processing the request. The request was received by the Web server, but during processing a fatal error occurred, causing the 500 error.

View more information »

Microsoft Knowledge Base Articles:

Any way  can delete this page?

LadyDee

by Darlene Murphy -

I copied you link and it did not work because I needed to use http://localhost:25799/mod/page/view.php?id=23

Now I can open the pages from anywhere.  Thank you so much for the advise you have been very helpful now I just need to delete the page that is giving me problems.

LadyDee

by Mary Evans -

The page you want to delete can be deleted from the main menu when you turn editing ON. Just CLICK on the X icon under the title of the page you want to delete.

Glad the other pages are working now.

In reply to Mary Evans

by Darlene Murphy -

If I try to show the page or delete it I get the information I posted.

LadyDee

by Mary Evans -

Which block to you add that casued the system to fail? I'm tempted to split this discussion from the main thread and move it to Instalation problems, to see if anyone has an answer.

However, reading the ERROR report sounds like you added somthing that the system did not like. If you could expand on what you did, prior to the page not working, it may go someway towards solving the problem.

by Miriam Laidlaw -

I wasn't suggesting someone else do them. I was just giving examples of how the custom menu could be used.

But I appear to be confusing the issue.