moodle 2.2 safari ipad cannot play embedded videos

moodle 2.2 safari ipad cannot play embedded videos

by John Reese -
Number of replies: 13

Hello,

We are on 2.2.3 on redhat linux

as the subject line indicated, we cannot view embedded videos on safari on the iPad (2 and 3) and the only way we can see it through this devices is if we change it to pop-up.

What are we doing wrong?

Thanks

John

Average of ratings: -
In reply to John Reese

Re: moodle 2.2 safari ipad cannot play embedded videos

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

What is the format of the video?

In reply to Marcus Green

by John Reese -

mp4, mv4 and mov

In reply to John Reese

by John Reese -

thoughts anyone?

can't run on the iPad then I guess

In reply to John Reese

by Jason Hollowell -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

No ideas anyone? I've just discovered the same issue. No mp4, mov, etc. with safari on iPad. Can't do itwith any of the moodle 2.x iPad apps that are available either. sad

In reply to John Reese

by Michael Stapleton -

We are having no trouble viewing MP4 videos on iPad. You could check out one on our site (login as guest)

http://sailanyway.org/moodle/mod/page/view.php?id=360

For what it is worth:

1. Original videos were from cameras or screencaptures (Jing, Camtasia)
  2. I use AVS4You Video Converter to compress to MP4 on the large file camera versions.
  3. We upload the MP4 to Vimeo
  4. I create a 3 row table on the Moodle page to help with page layout
  5. I go into the HTML edit mode then paste the iFrame code that Vimeo creates into the center row of the table.
  6. Videos play as they should on iPad, Macs, PCs and iPhones
  7. We have not installed any special Apps on iPads or iPhones to view videos
  8. We use Safari on the iPad, Firefox on the PCs

Good luck

Mike

In reply to Michael Stapleton

by John Reese -

Michael,

This may seem like a good workaround.

However, it seems like it defeats the purpose of making it work as what Moodle has and was designed to do - play embedded videos using the tools it has for non-technical users. wink

In reply to John Reese

by Michael Stapleton -

That being said ... the iPad has introduced the need for, hopefully, temporary work arounds. Our clients are heavy users of iPads. As much as we wanted to use Flash we don't because of the issues with iPad. We use MP4 and it is working.

For the person that asked how to get at the HTML...

On the text editor for Page, Quiz, Lesson or whatever Resource/Activity we click on the HTML icon.

Once the HTML screen is open we copy and paste the following HTML:

<table style="border: 10px solid #a9a9a9; width: 490px; height: 290px;" align="center" border="10" cellpadding="5">
<tbody>
<tr style="height: 10px;">
<td>
<h3 style="text-align: left;"><span style="color: #993300;">Instructions: Watch presentation then return to course.</span></h3>
</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td style="text-align: center;">REPLACE THIS WITH iFRAME CODE FROM VIMEO OR YOUTUBE</td>
</tr>
<tr style="height: 10px;">
<td>
<p style="text-align: center;"><span style="text-decoration: underline;"><span style="color: #0000ff; text-decoration: underline;"><a title="Return to course main page link" href="http://XYZ.COM">Click here to return to course main page.</a></span></span></p>
</td>
</tr>
</tbody>
</table>

Once we paste the above HTML we tab over to Vimeo (YouTube or wherever iFrame embed code is provided), we copy the iFrame code and then replace the red font section above with that iFrame code.

We also find it helpful to provide a link directly back to where we want the user to go after viewing the video so we replace the http://XYZ.com with the URL to another page on our Moodle site.

All of the above combined will create a 3 row table, it will place some instructions in the first row, the video in the second row and then the link to return in the last row. The code also centers the table on the screen and places a gray border around it. We came up with the width by trial and error testing on iPads, Macs and PCs to get the widest possible (490px) without cutting off the right side or causing the browser to add the scroll bars.

Vimeo allows the admin to create some standard settings. In those settings we tell Vimeo to create the iFrame code using height="270" width="480. These are just slightly smaller than the table cell so by the time a border is added the video fits snuggly inside of it.

Works for us anyhow.

In reply to John Reese

by Itamar Tzadok -

Just to add to Michael's comment, safari and chrome seem to require some plugin when embedding is done with object tag but are comfortable with embedding in iframe. smile

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Itamar Tzadok

by Jon Fila -

After you embed your video go into the HTML version of the page and change the link to the video from this:

<a href="http://YOURVIDEOURLHERE"> </a>

to

<embed src="http://YOURVIDEOURLHERE" />

Inside that tag you can set your height & width. The only problem is that if your video size is too large then you will have problems and probably have to find a way to resize it. I also change the autoplay by entering autoplay="autoplay".

That's the only way I've been able to get an embedded video from a file to work across browsers and devices. The easiest solution would be to post the video to YouTube and embed it that way.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Jon Fila

by John Reese -

How do you get to the "HTML version" of an embedded file in the first place? I don't see that option anywhere for a file resource uploaded.

All I see is the option to select the options for the drop down (embed, pop-up, automatic,e tc.) when trying to edit that file resource.

?

In reply to John Reese

by Jon Fila -

John, Wherever you embed the file you want to click on HTML in the WYSIWYG editor to edit the HTML. I'm guessing that you're uploading a file and not adding a Page, Label, Assignment, etc.

You will have to actually have to embed the video in order for it to work.

In reply to Jon Fila

by John Reese -

That is correct Jon.

We are not embedding the video from a page, label, etc.

What we have done is to add a file as a resource and selected "embedded". when that resource is loaded/viewed by the user.

There is no way to do it the "html code edit" way if it's added as a resource.

In reply to John Reese

by Kevin Bruton -

You can see embedded videos on moodle from an iPad. But you have to make sure the video is the right format, etc. You'll have to take into account Apple specifications:

"The following compression standards are supported:

• H.264 Baseline Profile Level 3.0 video, up to 640 x 480 at 30 fps. Note that B frames are not supported in the Baseline profile.

• MPEG-4 Part 2 video (Simple Profile)

• AAC-LC audio, up to 48 kHz

Movie files with the extensions .mov.mp4.m4v, and .3gp are supported.

Any movies or audio files that can play on iPod play correctly on iPhone.

If you export your movies using QuickTime Pro 7.2, as described in "Encoding Video for Wi-Fi, 3G, and EDGE,” then you can be sure that they are optimized to play on iOS".

The video should then work. It does for me!