Multiple linking and keywords in Glossary

Multiple linking and keywords in Glossary

by Joseph Rézeau -
Number of replies: 6
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hello!
In one English course for French students I have 2 glossaries: a vocabulary glossary and a grammar glossary.
I have found that, if a certain word ("concept") exists in both glossaries, then a click on a linked word in a text resource will display the entries in both glossaries, which is great.

I also make some use of the keywords facility in both glossaries. And there lies my problem: if a certain word appearing in a text resource is present in one glossary as a concept and in the other glossary as a keyword, the link only points to the entry which has the linked word as a keyword, not to the entry which has it as a concept.

Let me take an example.
In the Vocab Glossary I have:
Concept: knowledge
Definition: the things that you know.

In the Grammar Glossary I have:
Concept: uncountable nouns
Definition: uncountable nouns cannot take the plural
Keyword: knowledge love hate education (etc.)

Text:
The new technologies are a good way to develop our knowledges. (student post on forum).
The knowledge link only points to the Grammar Glossary entry (Concept uncountable nouns), it does not also display the entry from the Vocab Glossary. Too bad!

The pedagogic reason behind the desired - and presently unachieved behavior - is to present the student with both a correction of their mistake (no plural here) and a reminder of the meaning of the word.

Am I stretching the Glossary module beyond its present capacities?
Any idea, anyone?

Joseph_R

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

Re: Multiple linking and keywords in Glossary

by Eloy Lafuente (stronk7) -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Joseph,

as filters has been 100% revamped for 1.5, could you test if they are working fine with your concept-keyword problem?

TIA and ciao smile
In reply to Eloy Lafuente (stronk7)

by reetta hurri -
This problem with the linking, keywords and concepts still seems to occur (version 1.5.3).
Is there any solution found to this one yet?
In reply to reetta hurri

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
I can confirm that the problem I mentioned in my earlier post remains exactly the same in version 1.5.3, unfortunately.
Eloy?

Joseph
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Eloy Lafuente (stronk7) -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Joseph,

I've been reviewing glossary filter code and it seems that there are some limitations to be able to display in the popup both concept-entries and alias-entries at the same time.

The main problem seems to be that, current code, always look for the concept to build the popup (it the linked phrase was a concept, the concept is passed to the popup and, if the linked phrase was an alias, it's "parent" concept is passed to the popup).

So, the popup doesn't know if the request comes from one concept or from one alias. An it should know it because there are different works to do depending of that (i.e., if the link corresponds to one concept we should show too entries whose aliases contain the phrase but, if the link corresponds to one alias then we must display only such entry).

Also, curiously, I've detected that now, aliases have precedence over concepts so, if one phrase is found both in one (or more) concept and one (or more) aliases link is build pointing to the "parent" concept of the alias and not pointing to the concept.

So we can do two things:

1.- Change the precedence so concept match will have precedence over aliases match.
2.- Create one bug about to display both matching concepts and aliases in the popup, referencing this discussion and it will be fixed in some weeks (I hope).

TIA and ciao smile
In reply to Eloy Lafuente (stronk7)

by reetta hurri -
Terve taas!

That is just how I would like it to work (both 1 and 2).

Is there also some precedence between the aliases (keywords)?
I tried to work around the precedence between concept and aliases by adding every concept first to the list of its aliases hoping that the right concept would be found. The aliases however seem to mix (randomly?) when saving the changes and there doesn't seem to be any regularity in which concept "wins" and by which one of its aliases it "wins".

-reetta