Nanogong TinyMCE plugin not showing

Nanogong TinyMCE plugin not showing

by Dave Perry -
Number of replies: 25
Picture of Testers

I installed the filter via notifications (which it says was successful), and the plugins/nanogong folder from the package to /lib/editor/tinymce/tiny_mce/3.4.9/plugins.

I did both bits before I next opened the editor, but there is no speaker button.

Having never touched tinyMCE plugins before, what might I be missing?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dave Perry

Re: Nanogong TinyMCE plugin not showing

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Did you add the two lines of code to ... moodle/lib/editor/tinymce/lib.php ? Without them, the speaker button will not show up in the editor. In my Moodle 2.3 Dev site they are added as lines 191 and 192.

If you need it, here's the code and a picture showing where:

$params['plugins'] .= ',nanogong';
        $params['theme_advanced_buttons3'] .=',nanogong';

Attachment lib_php_code.png
In reply to AL Rachels

by Dave Perry -
Picture of Testers

Great that helped thanks. Would help if this was in a readme.txt file in the download.

Shame the audio file isn't playing when you click it, in Internet Explorer or Firefox (though the recording popup said it had successfully sent the sound file to the server).

In reply to Dave Perry

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

David,

Not playing can be caused by where you tried to place the recording. There are some places where it appears that everything works and gets saved but it fails to playback. For instance, I have not had any problem with the new Nanogong Voice Activity nor have I had any problems using Nanogong recordings made in the editor in a forum or topic. Basically, everthing in the videos from their website showing how to use the new Nanogong works okay for me.

However, my biggest use of Nanogong has always been to make audio questions for spelling tests. I have not been able to get any recordings made with the new Moodle 2 Nanogong to work in questions, though. Doesn't matter if it is in the question, answer, or feedback editor window. The Nanogong icon always when clicked in the question preview window or in a test, gives an error of "Failed to establish connection to the server."

I have discovered that I can manually upload .wav files into questions and the new filter will play them in Moodle 2.3 Beta. The Moodle Media toolbutton will let you put .wav but not .spx files in the editor box. sad I'll have to wait and see what I have when I try to do a real upgrade from Moodle 2.2.3+ to Moodle 2.3.

In reply to AL Rachels

by Fernanda Rodrigues -
Hi all
I've installed Nanogong in moodle 2.2. The activity works well, but the plugin doesn't work in a forum or a page, I manage to record and can listen to it right after recording, but after I insert it in the forum, the player icon just looks like an image and when I click on it, nothing happens.
is there anything I can do? This tool is very interesting for language teachers, and I'd really like to make it work in every activity and the page resource.

Thanks all.
In reply to Fernanda Rodrigues

by Gibson Lam -

Hi there,

Have you enabled the NanoGong filter from the Moodle administrator menu?

Even if you have installed the NanoGong filter by putting it in the right place within the Moodle folder, you will still have to switch it on in the Home->Site Administration->Plugins->Filters->Manage filters page.

You can take a look at step 2.4 in the following page:

http://nanogong.ust.hk/moodle2_inst.html#install_tinymce

Regards,

Gibson

In reply to Gibson Lam

by Fernanda Rodrigues -
Hi Gibson

Thanks for your quick reply, but I took all those steps at the time of the installation and the Nanogong filter shows as Active. Any more ideas?

regards

Fernanda

by Gibson Lam -

Hi Fernanda,

Not sure what the problem is at the moment. You have mentioned Forum and Page. Does NanoGong work in any other places?

Regards,

Gibson

In reply to Gibson Lam

by Fernanda Rodrigues -
Hi Gibson
Thanks for your time trying to solve this.
It works well as the NanoGong Activity.
The plugin doesn't seem to work at all, after I save.
I've tried with Forum, Page, Choice, Glossary, Quiz, and it doesn't work in any of those activities.

I've attached a file with the code I have in glossary before and after saving, will it help?

Regards

Fernanda

by Maribel García -

Hi

I have the same problem as Fernanda: the module activity of Nanogong is Ok, but the plugin doesn't work in the activities (quizzes, assignments, etc.).

Another problem: the module activity of Nanogong works with Internet Explorer, but it doesn't work with Mozilla Firefox and Safari. Does anyone have this problem too?

Regards

Maribel

In reply to Maribel García

by Fernanda Rodrigues -
Hi Maribel
In my case, the module activity of NanoGong works well with Internet Explorer, Firefox and Chrome. I haven't tested it wit Safari, I don't have it installed.

by Gibson Lam -

Hi Fernanda,

It looks a bit strange in the code you have attached because the URL of moodle.org shouldn't appear in the HTML code.

We have been preparing a new version of the modules and tinyMCE plugin which hopefully will get rid of some of these problems.

However, while we are working on the new version we haven't met the problem you mentioned. It would be nice if we can try that on your site. If possible, you can email me a testing account so that I can test it out and see what the problem is. Thanks!

Regards,
Gibson

In reply to Gibson Lam

by Boris Puhanic -

I installed Nanogong a few of days ago (on Moodle 2.2.2+), and followed all the instructions.  As other people mention, the activity works fine, but the tinymce plugin doesn't.  For some reason, I couldn't get it to work anywhere a couple of days ago, but today I got it working in a forum and an assignment (online text).  It could be because I updated Java.  Before that I was also getting the "Failed to establish connection to the server" error at some point, but I can't remember when. 

I also tried to get it working in a label and a quiz question (short answer) today, but it only goes as far as bringing up the recording applet with a white space in the middle like this:

Nanogong error

That's as far as it goes.  Sometimes it causes the browser (IE) to freeze completely so I have to ctrl+alt+del to close the browser and restart.

Thanks otherwise though, it's a great tool. 

Boris.

In reply to Gibson Lam

by Dave Perry -
Picture of Testers

I don't remember a mention of the filter needing to be active, will check the readme tomorrow. I have activated it now though, and will try recording again.

Can we get confirmation of which parts of moodle the filter will and will not work though, asap please?

In reply to Dave Perry

by Dave Perry -
Picture of Testers

Well now an audio recording on the homepage News section works. Presumably since activating the filter smile

In reply to Dave Perry

by John Reese -

Downloaded the latest nanogong activity.

clicking on the record icon, always show me " failed to initialize audio recorder"

already have the lastest JSE & JDK on my computer.

does not work in any browser and same error

site is running 2.2.4+ on redhat enterprise 6.2 64 bit

never got it to work on 1.9.x also...

I think this plugin is quite buggy

In reply to John Reese

by Dave Perry -
Picture of Testers

John

Have you tried this test?
http://gong.ust.hk/nanogong/try_javatest.html

The above link runs a test that gives you a yes or no answer as to whether the java plugin will let nanogong work on your computer (as it's not a java webapp running on the server, it sounds like a problem with your client). Also have you tried accessing it from your moodle on a completely different client machine which also has java installed?

In reply to Dave Perry

by John Reese -

David,

Thanks for replying... that was my first test and it passed with flying colors LOL

I don't know what else could be the cause...

In reply to Dave Perry

by Maribel García -

Hi everybody,

As Boris, I have updated Java and now almost everything in Nanogong works well. I have tried with IE, Chrome and Firefox. The Nanogong activity works well and the Plugin (for example, in a quiz) works well too.

However, the plugin doesn’t work when the voice message has been sent by a student. In my case (see the following picture), I can listen to the “Recording 1” but I can’t listen to the “Message from student to teacher”.

As a student, I have done a Nanogong activity, I have recorded myself. So far, everything is Ok. But, when I want to "Add a message for the teacher", a voice message I mean, the icons of Nanogong don't appear. I get the next picture with the white space:

Finally, Nanogong doesn’t work at all with Safari in my computer. I get the next message (see the following picture). I don’t understand, since Java and JavaScript are allowed in the Security options of this browser.

Thanks,

Maribel

In reply to Dave Perry

by David Rossiter -

Hi there,

Please try the latest release of NanoGong with Moodle 2 support, described in this thread:

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=207375

Thanks a lot,

Prof. David Rossiter & Dr. Gibson Lam
The Gong Project
http://nanogong.ust.hk

In reply to David Rossiter

by Boris Puhanic -

Hi, I upgraded to the latest release (4.2.2) and tried it out this morning.  I'm not sure if it was meant to solve any of the tinymce plugin problems, but I'm still having the same ones as before.

Actually, now it doesn't work anywhere - before upgrading it was working in assignments and forums (but not labels and questions). After upgrading the 'white-space' (where the nanogong voice recording tool is meant to appear) in now happening not just in labels and assignments, but in forums and assignments as well.

Boris.

In reply to Boris Puhanic

by Fernanda Rodrigues -
Hi everyone
I also upgraded to the latest version and still have the same problem. The activity works , but the tinymce plugin doesn't.
The last time I tried I got this window, it seems an OK button is missing.

Attachment no_ok_button.png

by Boris Puhanic -

Just wondering what's going on - are we the only ones having these problems with 4.2.2?  I haven't seen much about Nanogong in this forum for a while.  Does that mean everyone else's is running fine?

Also thought I'd mention that I had another go at installing 4.2.2, and I came across another problem, this time within the activity module.  When I try to listen to a student's uploaded recording (ie., I click on the little speaker icon), I get a message saying "Failed to open incompatible/unavailable voice data".

Does anyone know a solution to this?

In reply to Boris Puhanic

by Albert Leatherman -

Hi folks, newbie here. Although the NanoGong activity module is working great, I can't get the NanoGong TinyMCE plugin working in my text editor for any pages/sites/courses in Moodle. No option appears to insert audio in my text editor. I've inserted the lines of code as I thought I should, but perhaps I didn't do it right. Attached is my moodle/lib/editor/tinymce/lib.php file. Perhaps someone can spot the error. Many thanks.

In reply to Albert Leatherman

by Albert Leatherman -

Whoops, I realized what was wrong. My text editor was set to Atto instead of TinyMCE. I switched and now everything is working well.