Course here, course there, but not in the url

Course here, course there, but not in the url

by Itamar Tzadok -
Number of replies: 2

Because even in a cms not every course is a course. Sometimes it's just a placeholder for stuff. Othertimes the cms is not used for courses at all. But the browser's url shows .../course/view.php...

So I created a soft link to course/ and hacked moodle_url __construct to replace 'course/' with 'whateverworksforme/'. And it seems to work for me. Of whateverworksforme, any coded url that is not passed through moodle_url (bad code) will still show .../course/view.php...

If this feature is desired by others too I can open a tracker issue. The alternate name could be set in config. And if there is a better approach to implement that please share. smile

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Itamar Tzadok

Re: Course here, course there, but not in the url

by Nigel Cunningham -

Sounds good to me for a different reason again: in the Australian system in which I work, a course is the overall qualification someone is completing, and the individual units they take toward that qualification are called 'units of competency' or 'subjects', or something entirely different, depending on the context.

Regards,

Nigel

In reply to Itamar Tzadok

Re: Course here, course there, but not in the url

by Dan Poltawski -
I think I have heard on the grapevine that the OU have used this approach too (or maybe i'm making that up). Jenny Gray might be able to comment on that.

(I'm afraid I think we are a long way off getting all urls through moodle_url).