Support for decoupling DragMath

Support for decoupling DragMath

by Marc Grober -
Number of replies: 3

Can I have a show of hands, as it were , of those who feel that DragMath should be decoupled from the Moodle Tex Filter , as well as any argument from those opposed to such rational change wink

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Marc Grober

Re: Support for decoupling DragMath

by Mikael Kurula -

Ok, I have no idea of the background for the decision to couple them.

But from my perspective: I want to use MathJax rendering instead of the built-in TeX filter and I don't see why Moodle should try to artificially restrict me from using DragMath in my setup, since it seems to work technically.

Mikael

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Marc Grober

by Geoffrey Rowland -
Picture of Plugin developers

My +1 for the decoupling too.

I would also favour an 'out-of-the-box' DragMath MathJax setup, though jqMath provides a lightweight alternative to MathJax.

It is relatively simple to add DragMath and MathJax to TinyMCE (or other editor) on other web-based eLearning platforms (e.g. Mahara), giving leaners a consistent equation-editing-display experience.

Also, DragMath MathJax combo should allow/encourage, the transition from TeX/LaTeX/AMS-LaTeX markup to MathML.

In reply to Marc Grober

by Marc Grober -

Created a tracker item here.... http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-33021

In the process I discovered that the Masters of the Universe are again chatting about dumping DragMath because of GPL3  compliance issues.

Frankly,  maybe thats the best thing that could happen, and then people who want to use Moodle to teach math could install appropriate tools in recognition that Moodle is not really supportive of Math instruction?

wink

ˆ