Can students be assigned to make graphs in moodle?

Can students be assigned to make graphs in moodle?

by Peter Halverson -
Number of replies: 5

Hi all,

I would like to have my physics students make graphs of lab data, and of simple functions.  At this point I have to make them do this sort of work the old-fashioned way: on graph paper.

Is there any way to make students do the equivalent work on a computer screen in moodle? 

Even better, could it be incoporated into the quiz module and somehow be graded automatically???

I know it would be tricky coding, but it would be worth it.  I feel an entire generation of students is passing through our schools with little or no knowledge of how to make graphs.

Any comments or suggestions???

Sincerely,

Peter Halverson

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Peter Halverson

Re: Can students be assigned to make graphs in moodle?

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Rob Dahlin -

Tim,

in 2012 you provided this link: http://moodle.org/plugins/view.php?plugin=qtype_ddmarker

Is the information on the website associated with this link up-to-date? I just went through the example quizzes you have and am VERY excited about the possibilities. I'm not a huge tech guy so is there somewhere I can direct our tech department towards that would help them getting eAssessment incorporated into our current moodle server?

Thank you so much for your help and also the time you and others have put into making MOODLE so usable.

Rob

In reply to Peter Halverson

by Joe Murphy -

I can't recall finding a file format which the Assignment module wouldn't take, so you could just assign the students to use a math/stats package to make the graph (Excel, SPSS, Mathematica, whatever's appropriate). You could even use Advanced Uploading of Files to provide students with individual data sets to work with.

Alternately, if the goal is for the student literally to draw the graph (not tell the computer how to draw it for them), you might be able to do the drawing in something like Google Apps or the Aviary suite, and submit them either via a repository setup or through export and upload. (Or use a local Paint program.)

Neither of these is incorporated with quizzing, of course, and I agree that would be mighty handy.

In reply to Joe Murphy

by Christine Williams -

Looking for the same thing. I am wanting to allow students to graph their own progress for the course, unit by unit, quiz by quiz etc.

I'm using Twiddla, where I upload my own graph in PDF form.

Then I can direct students to my twiddla class, and they can add the lines/figures.

Now I'm working to embed the Twiddla graph directly into a moodle activity:

• Create a new label
  • Go to the page content
  • switch to HTML
  • key in the class link as an IFRAME item - looks like this:

<p><iframe src="http://www.twiddla.com/XXXXXXXX" webkitallowfullscreen="" mozallowfullscreen="" allowfullscreen="&quot;" frameborder="0" height="1000" width="1000"></iframe></p><p>Twiddla</p>

Where XXXXXXXXX = the name of our course.

Then the page shows up directly in the moodle site, and students can add their own input of any kind to the existing document or graph.

Only problem -- I want EACH student to have their OWN Graph. Now sure how to work that.