How can I allow booking of laptops for classes

How can I allow booking of laptops for classes

by David Myers -
Number of replies: 5

I need a way of allowing teachers to book reseources for classes such as laptops or computer rooms - can anyone suggest anything please.

I have looked at the MRBS module but I can't find any Docs to help me customise it.

Help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

David

Average of ratings: -
In reply to David Myers

Re: How can I allow booking of laptops for classes

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I've used the Scheduler plugin to do something like this in the past (was for a projector & laptop rather than laptops in my case) Don't know if it would match what you need?

I fiddled it a little by setting up a user called projector and then created the sessions with 'Projector' as the teacher running those sessions for users to book on - If you have multiple resources (which can be booked by different people - e.g. separate laptops as opposed to a single set of laptops to be kept together) then you can set each session up to allow that many people to book on each session as well.

Richard

In reply to Richard Oelmann

by David Myers -

Thanks Richard - I am getting a little further into MRBS but I would like to customise some of the headings - eg remove 'Meeting Rooms' from the main header and exchange it for 'Computer Resources'

Also I would like to put in an actual room name to tell the technicians where to take the laptops to - is this possible. 

It says cancelling a booking is only possible by the person who booked it or a booking administrator. How would I set up the latter and, if I add a room name after the person's name on the booking form, would that interfere with logging on to cancel the booking in the future.

Sorry to be dense.

David

In reply to David Myers

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Sorry David, I'll have to leave that for someone else to answer - I've not used the MRBS plugin at all. I was able to achieve everything I needed through Scheduler, but it seems your requirements probably go beyond what I needed to do smile

However, the one bit I may be able to point you in the right direction of is that the phrase 'Meeting Rooms' probably comes from the language file in MRBS - if you look in the lang/en folder in the plugin, you should find a php file there where you can edit the language strings to change it to 'Computer Resources'.

Richard

In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Matt Bury -
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi David,

For physical equipment, I think it's hard to go wrong with a traditional pen and paper booking form. However, I can see the advantages of allowing remote booking online. You could try the Face-to-face module. It's designed to book f2f and synchronous online sessions with a teacher but it could work for teachers to book equipment. It includes reminder emails and can notify others that a booking has been made.

I hope this helps! smile

In reply to Matt Bury

by David Myers -

Thanks Matt

I am not familiar with Face to face but I will look it. I recognise that pen and paper is often the best way but we have teachers that share resources but we don't share a common area where the paper resource could be so it is better to do it online.

David