I am going to develop a local plugin to achieve an automated reminder system for Moodle calendar under my GSoC project.
I would like to propose major milestones that I am going to cover from my project.
- Sending reminder messages for events will be automated using Moodle cron operations.
- * For each event there can be several reminders based only from days. (Not supported for setting reminders based on hours or minutes)
- No specific message outputs are being targetted. That is user/admin is responsible of recieving messages from any output as he/she desired. (Such as popups, jabbers, sms etc.)
- User must have appropiate capabilities to recieve those reminder messages.
- * An admin setting page will be provided to customize the reminders plugin. It contains enabling/disabling whole plugin and setting up number of reminders should be established for each event (Such as X days before). Currently this is fixed and providing only 7 days, 5 days, 3 days and 1 day reminders before any event.
- Simple message format will be used. (Trying to get abstract from Google calendar event reminder format) Expecting to add direct links to the event within the message.
- Performance issues (Full testing is required)
- Storage issues (whether history of sent reminders should keep in database or not)
- Providing individual user customizations for reminders. Currently only way to disable notification message for a specific user would be to remove the capability associate with him/her.
- * Identifying when calendar events are being added or removed. Currently Moodle lacks an event to indentify adding events to calendar.
[* - Need ideas and feedback for correctness and improvements]
So, your valuable ideas/feedback are welcome and open to discuss about this plugin. This will surely be completed on or before August of this year.