Moodle & MyEdesk

Moodle & MyEdesk

by Gabe Lucero -
Number of replies: 2
Hi, I'm new to Moodle and it looks incredible. I was wondering if anyone here is familiar with MyEdesk http://www.myedesk.org/refdesk.aspx

Are they similar in purpose? The reason I ask is another district has created a student assessment database and is using MyEdesk as the login portal. Is there a reason why Moodle could not be used for the same thing. Maybe MyEdesk would be a better choice if that is all it is intended to do. I would like to implement Moodle and use it for staff training, etc.

I'm new to both so I don't know if I'm approaching this in the right way.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gabe Lucero

Re: Moodle & MyEdesk

by Bryan Williams -
This looks like another content management system, with some document storage facility. This is not what Moodle is/does. Moodle is designed to create online courses and manage student learning activity. There are distinct features within Moodle for these two functions. Moodle has a modular architecture that makes adding different learning activities (Assignments, Lessons, Journals, Quizzes, Forums etc.) a relatively simple task for the course owner. Additionally, Moodle has a Grades feature, the ability to see Logs to assess seat time and many other learner management functions. Within its course management design, Moodle encourages student centered learning sometimes referred to as active learning, collaborative learning and constructivism. This isn't apparent in MyeDesk. Hope this helps!