Accessing standard Moodle course from LMS with HACP

Accessing standard Moodle course from LMS with HACP

by Colin Campbell -
Number of replies: 3

An administrative unit in our university has contracted for a SAAS LMS for training. This has a lot of standard Moodle courses in our Moodle, however, and want to access those Moodle courses from the other LMS using HACP (because the vendor told them it would work).

Does the SCORM module support this scenario? I know that it theoretically supports the reverse (that is, loading a SCORM module that links to external content via HACP), but I don't know if an external LMS can link to a Moodle course via HACP and exchange data.

I think I can figure out the course launch from the LMS with HACP, but I don't see how I can get Moodle to send HACP messages back to the LMS. Is this possible without major customization?

Thanks! 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Colin Campbell

Re: Accessing standard Moodle course from LMS with HACP

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

external AICC HACP is only supported in Moodle 2.2 and higher - it's also disabled by default.

to enable it go to admin > plugins > acitivities > SCORM

In reply to Dan Marsden

by Colin Campbell -

Thanks for responding, Dan. From what I can tell, the HACP-related settings on that configuration page relate to Moodle providing access to a externally-hosted content. My scenario is the reverse. There is a non-Moodle LMS that needs to access Moodle content as externally-hosted content through HACP.

In AICC-speak, in our scenario, the CMI (Computer Managed Instruction) system is the non-Moodle LMS and the AU (Assignable Unit) is to be a normal Moodle course hosted on our Moodle installation. Does Moodle support this?

Unless I am mistaken, the settings that you directed me to relate to Moodle as the CMI and the AU hosted elsewhere. I have looked through whatever documentation and relevant code that I could find. If I have missed something that's in there, please let me know.

In reply to Colin Campbell

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

ah - sorry, I didn't read your question closely enough.

you're correct - Moodle doesn't act as a provider although it would be interesting to see a project that did this! - I'd guess the best way would be to hook into course completion/activity completion settings.