Categories in navigation block in moodle 2.2

Categories in navigation block in moodle 2.2

by Patrick Juhl -
Number of replies: 6

Hello everyone!

I know this topic has been raised several times now but it seems to have died before a decent answer was given.

Could you please help me display the courses under their respective category in the navigation block ?

I really don't see why the categories have to disapear from the navigation bar once the user is enrolled in courses... I use the categories as a way to separate the courses into so called modules and it would make sense to have them in the navigation bar.

I am aware that this is stated in the settings of the navigation:

Show course categories in the navigation bar and navigation blocks. This does not occur with courses the user is currently enrolled in, they will still be listed under mycourses without categories. 

My question is, why ? And is there a workaround ?

Thanks in advance,

Patrick

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Patrick Juhl

Re: Categories in navigation block in moodle 2.2

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi this problem is being fixed in the latest version of Moodle...the developers have been working on this for a few weeks now...see MDL-31528

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Patrick Juhl -

Thanks a lot for your answer!

I will keep track of what happens with the bug. One thing though, I found this one which seems more closely related to my issue: http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-27405

It says that it is fixed, can you tell me how to get the patch ?

Cheers,

Patrick

In reply to Patrick Juhl

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

MDL-27405 is fixed in Moodle 2.3 (not yet released) but it seems there are patches for 2.1 and 2.2 attached to the issue.

In reply to Patrick Juhl

by Rosario Carcò -

My own blocks (myCourses and siteNavigation) I developed for Moodle 1.9 had a lot of admin options like displaying the user's own courses in a flat list or hierarchically nested in folders and subfolders. But unfortunately I did not have time to rewrite those blocks for Moodle 2.x and less a reason to do it, as the new navigation offers already a lot of the features I had implemented.

Displaying in nested categories and subcategories would be a reason for me to resume development. And also displaying the navigation/myCourses in separate/floating popUp-windows instead or besides the Dock. But for the moment we will wait 2.3 to be released.

Rosario

In reply to Rosario Carcò

by Patrick Juhl -

Hello Rosario,

Yes, I have seen your solution when looking through the forum. It would indeed be nice to have a little more flexibility in the navigation block. I would have used it if it had been available for 2.2! ;) So keep us posted if you intend to port it to the newer versions!

Thanks Helen as well for your remark. I have applied the patch to my 2.2 installation and it works like a charm!

Cheers,

Patrick

In reply to Patrick Juhl

by Rosario Carcò -

As I explained already in my threads, navigation of 2.x is very complex and deeply nested into the core logic, as far as I see and if I didn't miss anything. So adding any features I have implemented in my own blocks is not easy for me. It might be better and faster to ask them directly to the core programmer(s) of the navigation module.

There is also an old problem, when students do not get unenrolled by the teachers, which makes the myCourses list grow longer and longer with each semester. I know, this is only a problem for universities like ours, where the students are enrolled in many courses a semester and continue from semester to semester and teachers forgetting to unenrol them or leaving them in so that they can come back to the course during the whole cycle of 3 or 4 years.

That's why the next feature scheduled for both my blocks is a simple GUI switch to display actual courses and all courses. The only question at the moment is how to define what is recent or actual and what is older. The criteria range from courses the users actually attends to courses the user did not visit in the last 6 months or 12 months. This would keep development work and effort very low whereas developing a GUI where the user can select every single course with checkboxes to display/hide, would mean a lot of work because I would have to track every choice for every user in the database. So to be clean and lean a time based criterion already tracked in the database would make it easier. Time stamps are to be found in the mdl_logs table and maybe in other ones. I have to research this first.

As soon as this is clear for me, I will implement it.

And if such an option to let the students decide themselves what has to be displayed in their myCourses list is not present in Moodle 2.x this would be a further reason to rewrite my navigation block or to ask for it to the core developers.

Rosario