attaching 'patch' label to an issue

attaching 'patch' label to an issue

by maria joseph -
Number of replies: 10

if we want to submit a possible solution to an issue , can we add the label 'patch' to the issue ? if i have the permission to do so , then how to add the label?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to maria joseph

Re: attaching 'patch' label to an issue

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Maria,

As I replied to you previously, if you're logged in to the Moodle Tracker you'll find you can add labels to issues. Suggested fixes are always welcome. Feel free to give the issue a 'patch' label. smile

In reply to Helen Foster

by maria joseph -

Well, i am logged into the moodle bug tracker.But i am not able to find any 'add label' option or something similar.It would very helpful if you could elaborate a little more on the procedure.

In reply to maria joseph

by Hubert Chathi -

When viewing an issue, next to the labels field, there should be a pencil icon.  If you click on that, then you should be able to add a label.

In reply to Hubert Chathi

by maria joseph -

Ok..i searched through the issue and the moodle tracker again. I still could not find a pencil icon. Or do i not have the permission to attach a label?.. I really do not know how i am missing this.Attaching a screenshot for reference..

Attachment att1.JPG
In reply to maria joseph

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

OK, it looks like the tracker permissions are not quite set up correctly. You should probably report that at http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDLSITE

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Jordan Tomkinson -

This is not a bug, tracker permissions are set up correctly.

In order to assign labels you need edit permissions on an issue and you can only edit an issue if (one of):

you are the issue reporter

you are in the moodle developers group

you are in the moodle HQ group

you are a jira administrator

As the user is none of these, you will not have permissions to edit the issue and thus assign labels. There is no workaround for this as it is a limitation of the Jira issue tracking software and we are not going to open up every issue to be edited by any logged in user.

In reply to Jordan Tomkinson

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

It is a pity that editing the lables requires more permissions than adding a comment and attaching a patch. Oh well.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

As we are the human element in the process, could the patch label be added in a comment and reviewed?  Then if ok one of the people who can add it then do so.

In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Oh, sorry for getting things totally wrong. black eye Thanks Jordan for setting us straight.

When an issue which includes a proposed fix is triaged, the patch label is added. I think we just need to figure out a way of noticing and labeling issues which were previously triaged and then someone has come along later with a proposed fix (either in a comment or by attaching a patch).