Software for Mocking-Up User Screens?

Software for Mocking-Up User Screens?

by Don Hinkelman -
Number of replies: 11
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
What is the easiest, cheapest software for mocking up user input screens and report screens when designing a new Moodle module?

Tom Robb and I are designing a SignUp/Project module and need to provide detailed user requirements to a team of software engineering students at my university.  I would like to give them screen designs such as with the Roles Specification.

Thanks!
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Don Hinkelman

Re: Software for Mocking-Up User Screens?

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Pen and paper (and scanner!)
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Don Hinkelman -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Oh no!  surprise  sad    But how did you do this below...?

Attachment rolesscreen.jpg

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Sorry I was just responding to "the easiest cheapest" question. I usually do a few runs on paper before starting on a software version.

Actual HTML interfaces are superior to look at and use but a lot more fiddly to set up. Any half-decent HTML editor will do ... Shane used Dreamweaver for that particular page.

by Bill Burgos -
Hi Don,

For a fast and easy approach, you can use Mozilla's composer. It does plain HTML without the MS clutter you get with Word.

Also Open Office has an HTML editor. However, I find it inserts quite a bit of tags that are not really necessary.
In reply to Bill Burgos

by Tony Hursh -
I ran across Nvu just today while looking for updated software to include on the CD we send to our incoming students.

It's open source, and was created by the former lead architect for Netscape/Mozilla Composer. There are versions for Windows, OS X, and Linux.

I didn't have a lot of time to play with it, but from what I saw it looks pretty darned good. It's not as powerful as Dreamweaver, but it's much nicer than the old Composer.

In reply to Tony Hursh

by Tony Hursh -
Update: I've used Nvu some more, and am impressed. I don't think I'm quite ready to give up Dreamweaver yet, but this is definitely going on our student CD. smile

In reply to Bill Burgos

by Tim Allen -
Hi,

Does anyone know if there is an extension for Firefox that provides a HTML editor too?

TIA, smile
Tim.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Runy Calmera -
Pen and paper for me too. And a scanner. The cheapest way.

And if you want to have the theory look at this book about Paper Prototyping.

Runy

by Darren Smith -
as well as other suggestions 1st page I think is free.

If you want the file as an image after you have created the webpage then I use screen hunter (free version - win) to capture and produce a graphic file.

by Martín Langhoff -

I have to concur with MD, but I'll add a few alternatives:

• pen - paper - scanner
  • whiteboard - digital camera (we do this all the time!)
  • if it's a page change, use mozilla, load up the page and hit control-E (or Apple-E if you are lucky ;) -- it'll open the page you have under an HTML editor … change what you want to change, save. (edit: look at the attachment!)
  • other page-change technique: print the page, draw on it, scan it back or take a digital picture
  • Photoshop/GIMP if it has to be pretty

by Jens Gammelgaard -
Picture of Translators

Hi Don!

Is it something like Wink you need?: http://www.debugmode.com/wink/

A good example of a wink production is here:

Minute Website?

3 minutes in a microwave owen and dinner is ready? Certainly different from my mothers cooking in childhood times. But could even dynamic websites go from -18 celcius dead HTML to hot dynamic navigation and content in one minute? I set out to prove that it can be done with the new TemplaVoila version for the upcoming TYPO3 3.8.0.

Example here: http://130.228.0.33/oneminutesite/oneminutesite.htm

By the way, I wonder how we can create a kind of Templa Voila for Moodle smile

Cheers
Jens