Automated backup is not working in Moodle 2.2

Automated backup is not working in Moodle 2.2

by Emadof Tosen -
Number of replies: 12

I'm testing my moodle2.2 on an alternative Linux Server, all goes fine with the testing process except that when setting the automated backup enabled and run it at a specific time, then after that time pass. a day after I try to restore a cource but there were no backups to be restored, what I'm missing?

For notice, I tried the manual backup and it works fine. Also I made sure that the time zone on the server is the same as on my PC so the backup time is appropriate.

please anyone can help me solving that, I'll be thankful?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Emadof Tosen

Re: Automated backup is not working in Moodle 2.2

by Emadof Tosen -

please any one could help me in figure out the proplem

In reply to Emadof Tosen

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Emadof,

Did you set a path to the directory where you want to save the backup files or did you leave it empty? Perhaps you could double-check the instructions given in the documentation Automated course backup.

In reply to Helen Foster

by Emadof Tosen -

Thanks for the reply Helen

Actually I've read the documentation you mentioned, and I leave the path empty to get it as default, but nothing happened at all, there were no backup files to be restored in any course.

In reply to Emadof Tosen

by Ray Lawrence -

Is your specified directory writable?

In reply to Ray Lawrence

by Emadof Tosen -

yes I'm the root user. Althought the manual backup for each course is working fine, the automatic is not. I tried hard to figure out the problem but unfortunately I couldn't.

In reply to Emadof Tosen

by Ray Lawrence -

Is that the answer to my question. smile What are your directory permissionss?

In reply to Ray Lawrence

by Emadof Tosen -

it's rwx for root r for group and r for others

In reply to Ray Lawrence

by Emadof Tosen -

for details

I've looked for moodledata folder permission in php.config and it was

directorypermissions = 02777

In reply to Emadof Tosen

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
If it is a Linux server you can easily go for full site backup, http://docs.moodle.org/22/en/Site_backup and restore http://docs.moodle.org/22/en/Site_restore.
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Emadof Tosen -

Mr. Visvanath Ratnaweera :

Yes it's a Linux server, but I'm not facing a problem with backing up my site, it's just I'm trying to be more duynamic so that every saturday my site should do a backup process for all existed courses, so in case of any course is missing, we can then restore it easily.

In reply to Emadof Tosen

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi Emadof

I think I understand what you want: a weekly course-by-course backup of the whole site. That collection of course backups is not meant as a site backup rather for situations where an individual course needs to be restored to an old state.

The problem with this approach is, the php driven backup process is very very inefficient. We had cases where powerful servers taking more then 24 h for the backup and thereby overtaken by the next backup process. OK, you have a dead line of 7 days, but that shouldn't mean your server may struggle with itself rater than servicing the visitors.

A full site backup from the shell is much faster, you can script it and schedule for early hours so that the visitors won't notice anything. The disadvantage is of course you need to restore the whole site even if you need just one course. But the restore process could too be scripted, if necessary on the spare machine. Then you can manually backup the particular course from there without disturbing the production machine. And you avoid mishaps like this "the story of the misteriously filling up hard disk" http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=191275 !
sad

All these are common Unix system administration tasks, I might post more information if the time permits.
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Emadof Tosen -

Thanks for reply Mr.Visvanath Ratnaweera I appreciate this I'm gonna try that strategie and will inform you what the situation is.

smile