How can one access survey results

How can one access survey results

by Gisela Hillenbrand -
Number of replies: 4
Picture of Documentation writers
Hi all,

I have the following problem:
I'm in the role of the admin. I want to create a course evaluation survey, and I want all the teachers of our department to use this survey in their courses.

In the phpESP environment I collected all teachers in a designer group named teachers and allowed them to create surveys and export survey data.
Moreover, I created the evaluation survey setting the Owner of the survey to root/teachers.

Now the teachers can use the survey in their courses but they cannot view results of the survey.

If I collect all teachers in the designer group superusers and set the owner of the evaluation survey to root/superusers, then the teachers can view the survey results.

But I don't like the idea making all teachers superusers in phpESP.

What can I do? 

Thanks in advance for any help!

Gisela
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gisela Hillenbrand

Re: How can one access survey results

by Mike Churchward -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Are you using the newest version of the questionnaire mod?

If so, you shouldn't use the phpESP interface anymore anyway.

(the rest of this post will assume that you are)

The newest version is set up to just this. What you can do is create a questionnaire in a master course and make it public. When you create the questionnaire in other courses, use it as the content - it will be in the list of public surveys. The survey cannot be changed in the other courses, nor can the results be viewed (which is a problem to you).

So, in the master course, enrol the teachers from the other courses as teachers and they can view the results of the survey there.

Another option is to designate the master survey as a template. Then they can use the same questionnaire, but they can also change it and see the results. But, each questionnaire's results will be unique to that course.

mike
In reply to Mike Churchward

by Gisela Hillenbrand -
Hi Mike,

thanks for your fast answer. I followed your instructions and it works in principle.

However, it is not what I want to have. In my case I want to design a course evaluation survey. If I follow your instructions, then the viewing of the results works as follows:
- All responses from different courses (with different teachers) are collected in one survey
- Thus the teachers can see all results aslo the evaluation of other teachers (which should not be allowed for data safety reasons) Actually the evaluation survey used by a teacher in his course should be private, the responses being visible only to this teacher.

How can I achieve this?

Thanks and greetings!

Gisela
In reply to Gisela Hillenbrand

by Mike Churchward -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
So, you want one public survey to be used across multiple courses so that the data all pertains to the same survey. But, you want the teachers in a course to be able to see the responses by the students in their course, and no other courses. Is this correct?

Right now, that isn't possible. Only teachers of the course that owns the survey can see the responses, and they can see them all. Teachers of courses that are using the survey, but not owning it, cannot see any responses (unless they are also teachers of the owning course).

As a partial solution, change the survey to a template and make one copy of it for each course. It won't be as easy to see all responses from all courses - you'll have to download the CSV results from each survey and combine them - but you will have the security you require.

I'll look at adding these functions to the questionnaire module. I could see how they could be useful. What I would do is allow a public survey to be configured such that teachers of a course using it could be allowed to see the results or prevented, depending on the setting. This may take a while to implement though.

mike
In reply to Mike Churchward

by Gisela Hillenbrand -
Hi Mike,

thanks for the answer. I was already thinking of using a template and then copying it to each course. I tried it yesterday, and this works fine.

Greetings, Gisela